Refreshable Braille Displays
Braille displays provide access to information on a computer screen by electronically raising and lowering different combinations of pins in braille cells. A braille display can show up to 80 characters from the screen and is refreshable—that is, it changes continuously as the user moves the cursor around on the screen, using either the command keys, cursor routing keys, or Windows and screen reader commands. The braille display sits on the user’s desk, often underneath the computer keyboard. The advantages of braille displays over synthetic speech are that it provides direct access to information; allows the user to check format, spacing, and spelling; and is quiet. The price of braille displays range from $3,500 to $15,000, depending on the number of characters displayed. Later models of braille displays offer note-taking and file storage capabilities. Some personal digital assistants (PDAs) may be connected to a computer and used as a braille display or speech synthesizer. Typically, braille displays are available with 40, 70 or 80 characters. A 40-character display is sufficient for most jobs. Examples of jobs that could require a 70- or 80-character display are computer programmer and customer service representative. Here are some questions to ask when purchasing braille displays:
• How does the display connect to your computer?
• How well is the display supported by your screen reader?
• Are the buttons and switches on the display comfortable and easy to use?
• How many braille cells do you need?
• How does the display feel? Do you prefer braille dots that are “rounded” or “sharper”?
• Is the display supported and repaired in the United States?
• How large is the actual display? Does it fit in your work space?
27 Products in Category
ALVA 570 Satellite
ALVA 584 Satellite Pro
Braille Star 40
Braille Star 80
Braille Voyager 44
Braillex EL 2D-80
Focus 40 Braille Display
Focus 80 Braille Display
PAC Mate 20 Display
PAC Mate 40 Display
Seika Braille Display
Sync Braille (20 Cell)
Sync Braille (32 Cell)