The Top 10 Reasons to Attend the AFB Leadership Conference
by Joe Strechay
With the AFB Leadership Conference and Preconference, along with Florida AER, quickly approaching, we're busy packing our swim trunks and preparing for some amazing sessions. The reasons to attend are endless, but for fun, here are our top 10:
- You haven't been to the beach in a while and AFBLC will be held at the beautiful Tradewinds Resort on St. Pete Beach, FL. Bring your sunglasses and sunscreen because it will be a hot conference packed with quality information—don't get burned!
- You want to stay informed with national issues specific to professionals working with persons with vision loss.
- You want to be there when Duane Geruschat receives the Kirchner Award.
- You want to be there when Kathleen Huebner and George Kerscher accept their Migel Medals.
- You want to see the 2012 Access Award winners—Major League Baseball, Leader Dogs for the Blind (creation of the Accelerated Mobility Program), NV Access (creator of NVDA), and Lauren Lieberman (founder of Camp Abilities) —during the Access Award Reception.
- You want to hear from AFB Technology experts as they bring you the latest about technology specific to persons who are blind or visually impaired.
- You want to attend the amazing preconference sessions led by experts such as Karen Wolffe discussing employment; Mickey Damelio, Dona Sauerburger, and Dianne Ketts on orientation and mobility; and Darren Burton and Morgan Blubaugh getting you schooled on iDevices and the implications for the future.
- You are interested in learning more about working with students and clients with vision loss and multiple impairments including deafblindness. You'll want to check out sessions by Dona Sauerburger, Phoebe Irby, Rebecca Nance, Karen Wolffe, and the team from the Conklin Center for the Blind.
- You will have a tough time deciding which sessions to go to at the conference because the agenda is so action packed, the X Games have nothing on the 2012 AFB Leadership Conference and Preconference!
- The number one reason to attend is for a boatload of networking opportunities and resources galore. We will not provide the boats, but I can guarantee there will be some nearby! The keynote speaker, Kevin O'Connor, will knock your socks off and get you ready for some sandals. And don't forget to catch the preconference keynote from Karen Wolffe.
Don't miss out, book your room today (April 1 is the deadline for discounted hotel rates). Register today and get connected by attending the 2012 AFB Leadership Conference in St. Pete Beach, FL. The conference is May 4-5 with the preconference sessions on May 3.
Let's get some conversations started! Have a Twitter account? The official AFB Leadership Conference hashtag is #AFBLC and don't forget to follow us at @afb1921.
Looking forward to a great conference!
'Time for Leadership' image courtesy of Shutterstock.
Log in to Post a Comment
- Personal Reflections (33 posts)
- Getting Around (31 posts)
- In the News (24 posts)
- Education (18 posts)
- Orientation and Mobility (17 posts)
- Independence (1 post)
- Public Policy (28 posts)
- Cultural Diversity (1 post)
- Helen Keller (26 posts)
- Assistive Technology (36 posts)
- Technology (28 posts)
- Sports (20 posts)
- Helpful Products (8 posts)
- Health (5 posts)
- Holidays (4 posts)