Sewing Machine Operator - Griffin, Georgia
Organization: Georgia Industries for the Blind
To assemble textile products, including garments, bags, such as laundry bags, tote bags or any other existing or potential sewn product, by operating sewing machines in conjunction with specified fabrics and accessory items with a variety of possible features and functions. To safely perform all job duties to production and quality standards.
1. Must Be Legally Blind.
2. Must be able to communicate and carry out simple instructions.
3. Must be able to lift, carry, and reach as required.
4. Must be able to lift up to twenty (20) pounds as required.
5. Must be able to work normally scheduled days, holidays, weekends, and overtime as required.
Essential Duties (Considering job knowledge, job environment, effort, manipulative skill, judgment, safety knowledge, and responsibility):
1. Must be able to recognize raw material product specifications, including type of item and functionality of item.
2. Must be able to align raw materials to specified dimensions and place in appropriate orientation and location on sewing equipment and with other textile accessories being combined.
3. Must be able to operate machinery, including start/stop mechanisms and machine specific tasks.
4. Must be able to recognize empty bobbins and empty cones.
5. Must be able to recognize and notify supervisor immediately about the need for parts replacement; needles for example.
6. Must be able to understand process specifications and use these to complete assigned tasks.
7. Notifies Production Supervisor of any mistakes, unexpected occurrences, and equipment malfunctions in a timely manner consistent with severity of problem.
8. Recognize non-conforming materials and notifies Quality Assurance, as needed.
9. Performs housekeeping as required for the production area as needed.
10. Performs all job duties using safe work methods.
11. Complies with all company policies and procedures, including absenteeism and tardiness policy.
Other Duties (Considering job knowledge, job environment, effort, manipulative skill, judgment, safety knowledge, and responsibility):
1. Assists department employees as needed.
2. Must perform any other job duties as assigned by supervision.
1. Must attend a one (1) day orientation training session familiarizing new employee with the plant and basic procedure.
2. Must attend annual Quality/Safety training.
3. Must participate in an on the job training session familiarizing the new employee with their job duties.