- The American Foundation for the Blind Names Russell Shaffer the Recipient of the 2015 Stephen Garff Marriott Award
The American Foundation for the Blind (AFB) has named Russell Shaffer the recipient of the 2015 Stephen Garff Marriott Award.
- Judy Scott Talks About Attending Big 12 Basketball Tournament
Judy points out the steps she took to be able to enjoy the tournament as a blind person.
- AFB Awarded $275,000 Grant from NEH to Digitize the Helen Keller Archives
The American Foundation for the Blind (AFB) is thrilled to announce a grant of $275,000 from the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) to digitize the Helen Keller Archives. Bequeathed to AFB by Keller, the collection is a living testament to the amazing story of Keller's life, from her famous awakening as a child of 6 at the water pump, to her life as an author, activist, and global ambassador for people with disabilities
- Helen Keller International
VisionAware International Agency of the Month
- White House Conference on Aging
Join our conversation on aging and vision loss
- Oraien E. Catledge, social worker and photographer, has died
Photographer and former regional specialist in aging for the American Foundation for the Blind's (AFB) office in Atlanta, Georgia, Oraien E. Catledge died on January 27, 2015, at age 86.
- Cause of Age-related Macular Degeneration is Linked to Calcium Deposits
An international team of researchers led by University College London have linked age-related macular degeneration (AMD) to calcium deposits in the eye. The researchers hope that this new discovery will lead to significantly earlier detection and eventual treatment for the condition.
- L’OCCITANE en Provence Donates $100,000 to the American Foundation for the Blind
NEW YORK (February 13, 2015)—In December 2014, L'OCCITANE en Provence pledged to give back to the visually impaired community by donating up to $100,000 to the American Foundation for the Blind (AFB).
- American Foundation for the Blind Announces 2015 Access Award Winners
NEW YORK (February 4, 2015)—The American Foundation for the Blind (AFB) is proud to announce that Comcast, Microsoft, MIPsoft, Odin Mobile, Joel Snyder, Ph.D., Texas Instruments Education Technology, Orbit Research and American Printing House for the Blind (APH) will be honored with 2015 Access Awards for their commitment to innovation and access for all.
- The American Foundation for the Blind Announces 2015 Migel Medal Recipients
NEW YORK (December 15, 2014)—The American Foundation for the Blind (AFB) today announced the 2014 winners of the Migel Medals, the highest honor in the blindness field. The 2014 recipients are Judy Brewer, Gaylen Kapperman, Ed.D. and Rosanne Silberman, Ed.D.