Addie McBryde Rehabilitation Center for the Blind - AFB Directory Profile
Addie McBryde Rehabilitation Center for the Blind
2550 Peachtree Street
Jackson, MS 39296-5314
(601) 364-2700 (Local)
(601) 364-2677 (Fax)
(800) 443-1000 (Toll-Free)
(601) 853-5100 (TDD/TTY)
Hours of operation: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Staff description: Teaching staff are certified rehabilitation teachers and/or certified O&M instructors.
Geographic area served: Mississippi. Accepts out-of-state referrals as space is available.
Dorothy Young, Director, Vocational Rehabilitation for the Blind
Services for Adults
- Provides low vision assessments, vocational evaluations, and assistive technology evaluations.
- Community Outreach Programs
- Offers extensive outreach program to support outside entities.
- Offers comprehensive social and psychological evaluations and personal and group counseling.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in home and personal management, braille, handwriting, typing, word processing, and leisure education. Offers services to those 55 and above including Independent Living Program for Older Blind.
- Employment/Job Training
- Provides vocational evaluations and information and training in job-seeking skills, business enterprise programs, clerical work, and data entry.
- Low Vision Services
- Provides low vision evaluation and follow-up. Prescribes and supplies low vision devices.
- Recreation Services
- Offers training and activities for independent participation in community programs, physical conditioning and has an after-hours recreation specialist on staff.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.
Services for Children
- Education Services
- Offers GED preparatory program on-site.
Services for Professionals
- Professional Training
- Provides orientation to blindness training on a frequent basis.