Blind and Vision Rehabilitation Services of Pittsburgh - AFB Directory Profile
Blind and Vision Rehabilitation Services of Pittsburgh
1816 Locust Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
(412) 368-4400 (Local)
(412) 368-4090 (Fax)
(800) 706-5050 (Toll-Free)
(412) 368-4095 (TDD/TTY)
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00 AM-5:00 PM.
Clients served on average per year: 1200
Number of staff: 88
Staff description: 65 full-time, 23 part-time; uses volunteers.
Geographic area served: Primarily Allegheny County in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Although services are available for individuals from across the country.
Publications: Newsletter (3 times per year), brochures, annual report
1590 N. Center Avenue
Northridge Buidling, Ste. 100
Somerset, PA 15501
Erika Arbogast, CEO, firstname.lastname@example.org
Diane Celidonia, Employment Services, email@example.com
Jeremy Gilchrist, Transition Services for Youth, firstname.lastname@example.org
Spero Pipakis, Access Technology Services, email@example.com
Services for Adults
- Offers functional assessment services and evaluation to identify service needs of clients who are blind or visually impaired, preschool vision screening program for early detection of vision problems in day care centers and nursery school settings.
- Community Outreach Programs
- Conducts preschool vision screening. Participates at fairs and expositions. Does outreach to senior centers to display agency materials and identify potential clients.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Students learn a variety of accessible technologies, including screen-reading software, screen magnification, Braille displays and other computer technology, in our state-of-the-art center.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in personal management, handwriting, listening skills, typing, video magnifier, home management in client's home and community and training in the use of Optacon and Kurzweil equipment. Provides consultation to other agencies. Offers residential rehabilitation program, low vision services, access technology center, residential rehabilitation for adolescents with vision impairment (5-week summer program).
- Employment/Job Training
- Provides career and skill counseling, employment transition services, occupational skill development, job retention, business enterprise development, job retraining, workshops, vocational placement, work preparation training program, therapeutic activities, supported work program, follow-up service.
- Information and Referral
- Refers to community resources.
- Low Vision Services
- Provides low vision evaluation and follow-up. Prescribes and supplies low vision devices.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.
Services for Children
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Offers braille instruction.
- Early Intervention/Infant Services
- Offers home-based and center-based preschool vision screening for early detection of eye problems.
Services for Professionals
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Provides consultation/technical assistance in many areas of visual impairment/rehabilitation.
- Professional Training
- Offers internship/fieldwork placement in social work, orientation and mobility, regular in-service training programs, vocational rehabilitation, low vision, adaptive technology training.