Blind & Visually Impaired Center of Monterey County Inc - AFB Directory Profile
Blind & Visually Impaired Center of Monterey County Inc
225 Laurel Avenue
Pacific Grove, CA 93950
(831) 649-3505 (Local)
(831) 649-4057 (Fax)
(800) 404-3505 (Toll-Free)
The mission of the Blind and Visually Impaired Center of Monterey County is to encourage and inspire people who are blind or visually impaired to transcend the loss of sight as independent, contributing members of society.
Hours of operation: Office: Mon.-Fri. 8:30 AM-1:30 PM; Outreach services: By appointment
Clients served on average per year: 380
Number of staff: 4
Staff description: 1 O&M coordinator, 1 Business Director, 1 Program Director.
Geographic area served: Monterey County.
Publications: Blindfold (bi-monthly newsletter).
Cheri Padin, Business Director
Diana Trapani, Executive Director, (831) 649-3505 103, Diana@blindandlowvision.org
Services for Adults
- Evaluates present needs and skill levels of clients.
- Assistive Products
- Optical aids such as pocket, handheld and stand magnifiers, loupes, binoculars, monoculars, and bioptics are available through the Low Vision Clinic.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Provides demonstration and training in the use of some assistive devices, such as video magnification systems, reading machines, computer software for screen magnification and screen reading.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides home-based instruction in daily living skills.
- Information and Referral
- Refers to other information sources and services.
- Low Vision Services
- Devices available for demo, loan and sale. Prescriptions may be obtained through the Low Vision Clinic. The Low Vision Service Coordinator provides training in the use of low vision devices.
- Recreation Services
- Offers exercise program, lunch, and ceramics class on Tuesdays.
- Support Groups
- Holds a low vision support group the second Monday of each month. Call to confirm time and date.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.
Services for Children
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Offers instruction in braille.
Services for Professionals
- Professional Training
- Provides in-service talks to train personnel who work with blind and visually impaired people.