Blindness Support Services, Inc. - AFB Directory Profile
Blindness Support Services, Inc.
3696 Beatty Drive
Riverside, CA 92506
(951) 341-9244 (Local)
(951) 341-6335 (Fax)
Blindness Support Services, Inc. is a nonprofit organization serving the needs of blind and vision impaired persons and their families within the Inland Empire and the surrounding area.
Its mission is to provide a community based focal point, which makes a difference in the lives of blind and visually impaired persons by providing vital skills, which help increase employment, independence, productivity and quality of life.
Hours of operation: 8:00AM-5:00PM Pacific standard time
Number of staff: 18
Staff description: Orientation and Mobility Instructors, Braille Instructors, Assistive Technology Instructors, Independent Living Skills Instructors, Blind Children Development Instructors, Instructors for Seniors with low vision and Blindness, and Travel Training Instructors. Our Instructors are Bilingual and can teach and instruct in Spanish.
Geographic area served: Riverside County and San Bernardino Counties
Publications: Blindness Support Services Newsletter: sign-up at: http://www.blindnesssupport.com/signup.html
Lolita Barnard, Childrens Department Manager, (951) 341-9244, firstname.lastname@example.org
Peter Benavidez, CEO, (951) 341-9244, email@example.com
Christine Davidson, Braille Instructor, (951) 341-9244, firstname.lastname@example.org
Feliciano Godoy, Lead Rehabilitation Technology Instructor for the Assistive Technology department, (951) 341-9244, email@example.com
Luis Hernandez, Rehabilitation Technology Instructor, Orientation and Mobility, Travel Training Instructor<br />, (951) 341-9244, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kelly Hill, Rehabilitation Technology Instructor for the Assistive Technology Department, (951) 341-9244, email@example.com
Brenda Martinez, Case coordinator, (951) 341-9244, firstname.lastname@example.org
Priscilla Ochoa, Travel trainer, (951) 341-9244, email@example.com
Dolores Olvera, Childrens program assistant, (951) 341-9244, firstname.lastname@example.org
Carmina Pineda, Lead Independent Living Skills Instructor for the Department of Older Adults, (951) 341-9244, email@example.com
Nancy Preito, Childrens program assistant, (951) 341-9244, firstname.lastname@example.org
Antonia Quezada, Indepednet Living skills instructor for the department of older adults, email@example.com
Thomas Tivnen, Webmaster, (951) 341-9244, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ciro Trujillo, Braille Instructor, (951) 341-9244, email@example.com
Robin Unruh, Administrative Service Manager, (951) 341-9244, firstname.lastname@example.org
Services for Adults
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- The Braille Department offers Braille transcription services and lessons to help the blind in Southern California maintain literacy, one person at a time. We also have Bilingual instructors.
- Braille/Electronic/Audio/Large Print Production
- We can transcribe your print material into Braille whether it’s for personal or commercial purposes. Feel free to contact us to get a quote.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Our Assistive Technology program provides screen reader and magnification training for individuals who wish to utilize Adaptive Technology in Home, School and Vocational environments. Training includes computers, iPhone, iPad, and iPod as well as other devices. We also have bilingual instructors.
- We offer Adjustment to Blindness Peer Support Group meeting for English and Spanish Speaking Blind and Visually Impaired Adults. Location: Blindness Support Services Inc. 3696 Beatty Drive in the City of Riverside, CA 92506 Meeting Times are: The Second Friday of each month for the Spanish Peer Support. The Third Friday of each month for the English Peer Support. The meetings are from 10:00 AM to 12:00 Noon.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- The Independent Living Skills program offers visually impaired persons the opportunity to learn how to cook, clean, dress for success and be as self-sufficient as they desire.
- In-Home Services
- The Department of Older Adults is a free in-home program that provides the skills needed to lead a more independent life in spite of vision loss. We can help you adapt to your visual impairment. We also have bilingual instructors.
- Recreation Services
- Braille Club:
Our Braille club meets the last Friday of the month. Join us and have fun reading Braille material in grade one (uncontracted) and grade two (contracted) Braille in standard and jumbo formats. Come and be a part of this club to maintain and increase the fluency of your Braille reading skills. Meeting Times are at: Every last Friday of the month from 10:00AM-12:00PM.
Location: Blindness Support Services Inc. 3696 Beatty Dr Riverside, CA 92506.
Apple devices Club:
We have an Apple Devices Club that meets every 3rd Friday of the month. We demonstrate a couple of applications followed by an open discussion to discuss about Apps and iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices. We also have bilingual instructors.
Visit our Essential iOS Apps page and stay up to date with iOS Apps.
Meeting Times are at: Third Friday of the month 1:00PM-3:00PM
Location: Blindness Support Services Inc. 3696 Beatty Dr Riverside, CA 92506
Audio Descriptive Movie Presentations:
On the Third Thursday of each month we host audio descriptive movies for blind audiences.
9:30 AM Drama/Action Movie
1:00 PM Animation Movie.
- Braille Club:
- Support Groups
- We offer Adjustment to Blindness Peer Support Group meeting for English and Spanish Speaking Blind and Visually Impaired Adults. Location: Blindness Support Services Inc. 3696 Beatty Drive in the City of Riverside, CA 92506 Meeting Times are: The Second Friday of each month for the Spanish Peer Support. The Third Friday of each month for the English Peer Support. The meetings are from 10:00 AM to 12:00 Noon. Location: Blindness Support Services Inc. 3696 Beatty Drive in the City of Riverside, CA 92506. Blind/visually impaired, friends and families are welcome to attend.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- The Travel Training Program offers travel training to individuals with disabilities in Western Riverside County. Learn how to utilize public transportation such as the bus and Metro-Link train.
Services for Children
- Information and Referral
- The Children’s Department prepares blind/visually children ages 0-5 to enter Kindergarten prepared to work alongside sighted children with all their basic skills in place. Training is provided in-home. Tactile Teacher Trainings are also available.