Center for Sight & Hearing - AFB Directory Profile
Center for Sight & Hearing
PO Box 5944
8038 MacIntosh Lane
Rockford, IL 61125
(815) 332-6800 (Local)
(815) 332-6810 (Fax)
The Center for Sight & Hearing is an accredited nonprofit organization that provides clinical services, rehabilitation therapy, and social activities for people who seek specialized hearing or vision care.
Hours of operation: Monday through Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm
Clients served on average per year: 6800
Number of staff: 21
Staff description: Audiology, Low-Vision Optometry, Optometry, Low-Vision Therapy, Vision Rehabilitation Therapy, Assistive Technology Therapy, Assistive Technology Sales, Braille and Sign Language Services.
Geographic area served: Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin Regions.
Publications: New Horizons (quarterly); Annual Report
Hina Altaf, Assistive Technology Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org
Tom Lasley, Business Development Director, email@example.com
Maureen Mall, President, firstname.lastname@example.org
David Powell, Clinic Director, email@example.com
Barbara Schlomann, Vision Rehabilitation Therapist, firstname.lastname@example.org
Services for Adults
- Assist individuals in identifying and stating needs and goals and developing and implementing individual plans.
- Assistive Products
- Products for sale on site include magnifiers, talking watches/clocks, cooking utensils, reading and writing tools, personal and money management products, large-button phones, etc.
- Braille/Electronic/Audio/Large Print Production
- Reading material, Center brochures and information, greeting cards, and other materials.
- Community Outreach Programs
- Offers low vision screening, in-service training, sighted guide training.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Offers computer training.
- Offers support group, rehabilitation and career counseling.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in personal management, home management, travel, money management, and communication skills at the Center or individual's homes.
- Information and Referral
- Provides community information and resources to assist individuals with vision loss.
- Low Vision Services
- Provides low vision evaluation and follow-up. Prescription supply of low vision devices, and provision of low vision services for seniors.
- Recreation Services
- Holds regularly scheduled social/recreational activities for adults with a vision and hearing loss.
- Services for Seniors
- Provides low vision services for seniors.
- Support Groups
- Offers support groups for individuals who experience a vision loss.
Services for Professionals
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Provides advice, assistance, consultation, training to individuals, professionals, employers, and family members.
- Professional Training
- Offers workshops, professional presentations, and in-service training to the public and personnel who work with people with vision and hearing loss.