Center for the Blind & Visually Impaired - AFB Directory Profile
Center for the Blind & Visually Impaired
1721 Westwind Drive
Bakersfield, CA 93301
(661) 322-5234 (Local)
(661) 322-1176 (Fax)
The Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired (CBVI) was founded in 1950 as a volunteer-run organization for braille education and recreational activities. Today, CBVI's mission is to provide rehabilitation programs for greater independence to adults who are blind or visually impaired.
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00 AM-5:00 PM.
Clients served on average per year: 85
Number of staff: 7
Staff description: Certified O&M instructors, professional rehabilitation teacher, computer instructor, and low vision consultant.
Geographic area served: Kern County
Publications: Inner Vision (newsletter).
Raye Bugnosen, Director of Programs and Client Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
Justin Cave, Executive Director, email@example.com
Dane Geer, Computer Technology Instructor, firstname.lastname@example.org
Nancy Hill, Adjustment to Vision Loss Instructor, email@example.com
Stan Scharry, O&M Instructor, firstname.lastname@example.org
Michelle Smith, Independent Living Skills Instructor, email@example.com
Carla Woorley, Braille Instructor, firstname.lastname@example.org
Services for Adults
- Assistive Products
- Distributes low vision devices, canes, talking watches and clocks, large-print cards, puzzles and cookbooks, magnifiers, and handcrafted gifts. Products for sale on site.
- Community Outreach Programs
- Provides training to care providers and acts as resource for local senior centers, convalescent homes, and retirement centers.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Offers computer training.
- Provides support groups, including emotional support and practical advice for living with vision loss.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in independent living skills.
- Information and Referral
- Connects consumers to other organizations and agencies to provide additional assistance. Provides referrals for low vision services.
- Library Services
- Maintains a library of descriptive videos, books on tape, and braille materials.
- Recreation Services
- Offers arts and crafts and field trips.
- Support Groups
- Offers support groups for adults.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.
Services for Children
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Offers beginning, intermediate and advanced braille instruction classes by appointment.
- Offers braille instruction.
Services for Professionals
- Professional Training
- Offers training to health care providers caretakers, transportation service providers.