Delta Gamma Center for Children with Visual Impairments - AFB Directory Profile
Delta Gamma Center for Children with Visual Impairments
1750 S. Big Bend Boulevard
Richmond Heights, MO 63117
(314) 776-1300 (Local)
(314) 776-7808 (Fax)
The Delta Gamma Center provides early intervention services for children and their families up to 36 months of age as well as a wide array of family support services for families with children of all ages and support groups for school-age youth.
Consistent with the family-centered philosophy of the organization, the Center offers a wide variety of family support activities, including groups for parents, and three recreation and support groups for graduates of the Center's early intervention services (up through high school).
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:30 AM-5:00 PM, some evenings/weekends.
Clients served on average per year: 250
Number of staff: 25
Staff description: 12 full-time, 8 part-time staff and 5 therapists on a per diem employment arrangement. Professional program staff include seven VI teachers, one social worker, 3 occupational therapists, 1 physical therapists, 1 speech therapists.
Geographic area served: 50 miles in all directions from office; includes 5 counties in Missouri and 5 counties in Illinois.
Publications: You, Your Baby and Anophthalmia (video); Beyond the Stares: A Personal Journal for Siblings of Children with Disabilities, In Touch with Your Baby's Development (books).
1750 S Big Bend Blvd
Saint Louis, MO 63117-2402
Eleanor Aboussie-Ashley, GRADS Director, (314) 776-1300 111, email@example.com
Debra Chapuis, MSW, Family Support Services Director, (314) 776-1300 101, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jennifer Cox, Teacher of the Visually Impaired, (314) 776-1300 103, email@example.com
Janet Creath, Director of Development, (314) 776-1300 109, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jan Huneke, MBA, Executive Director, (314) 776-1300 110, email@example.com
Cassidy Johns, Assistant Director of Development, (314) 776-1300 108, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ashley Keegan, Teacher of the Visually Impaired, (314) 776-1300, email@example.com
Rebecca Lambert, MS Ed, COMS, Teacher of the Visually Impaired & Orientation/Mobility Specialist, (314) 776-1300, firstname.lastname@example.org
Lisa Rohr, MAT, Early Intervention Program Director, (314) 776-1300 102, email@example.com
Anne Silea, Director of Community Engagement, (314) 776-1300 120, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ann Weidemann, Director of Administration, (314) 776-1300 107, email@example.com
Services for Children
- Performs functional vision assessments for newly diagnosed children to determine visual functioning and recommendations for service. Also provides occupational, physical, speech therapy evaluations and assistive technology assessments.
- Community Outreach Programs
- Outreach to the two children's hospitals in St. Louis; "ability awareness" programs for local school districts; "Saturday Seminars" consisting of low cost seminars for community professionals on a number of topics pertaining to young children with special needs and/or visual impairments.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Has a toy-lending program and provides assistive technology services including evaluations and purchase of recommended equipment.
- Short-term counseling services are provided upon request to parents/caregivers of children with visual impairments from infancy through high school graduation.
- Early Intervention/Infant Services
- The Delta Gamma Center for Children with Visual Impairments is committed to helping children who are blind or visually impaired reach their full potential through individualized education and therapy services for infants (birth to three years) and their parents and through support services for children, their families, and the community. Offers home- and center-based instruction from teachers of the visually impaired. Provides occupational, physical, and speech therapy and training in orientation and mobility and use of assistive technology.
- Information and Referral
- Professional staff provide information and referral services upon request to children and their caregivers and to other service providers in the community.
- Low Vision Services
- Vision Screening is a simple, quick test that can identify many types of eye problems, and it helps to identify children with eye conditions that are likely to lead to visual impairment. This allows for early referral for further evaluation and treatment when it is most effective.
- Recreation Services
- Group recreation and developmental support Programs are available through the Center for children ages 3 through high school graduation. The groups meet monthly to address the development of social skills, independence, and community participation and to provide a forum for peer support. School-age participants also have the opportunity to go on annual challenge trips. Additional Recreational programming includes: Tandem Adventurers, Trekker Adventurers, and Experience the Arts: Music Program
- Support for Parents
- Parents/caregivers can request individual support services and have the option to participate in group trainings and family activities. Parent-to-parent matches are also available upon request. In addition, support services are available to siblings, grandparents, and children with visual impairments. Offers parent counseling, referrals to community programs, assistance in school placement.
- Support Groups
- Support groups are available to parents of infants and toddlers who attend Center-based programming.
- Family activities and support group meetings for parents/caregivers of children of all ages are available periodically.
- Monthly support and recreation groups are available to children ages 3 through high school.
- There is an annual meeting for grandparents of young children with visual impairments.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Orientation and mobility evaluations and training are offered through the Center for toddlers for whom it is appropriate.
10/20/2016 Teacher of the Visually ImpairedDelta Gamma Center for Children with Visual Impairments, is this page missing one of your services, events, programs, or announcements? Update your information for free.