Florida Department of Education: Bureau of Exceptional Education and Student Services - AFB Directory Profile
Florida Department of Education: Bureau of Exceptional Education and Student Services
325 West Gaines Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400
(850) 245-0475 (Local)
(850) 245-0953 (Fax)
(850) 245-0475 (TDD/TTY)
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 7:00 AM-6:00 PM.
Geographic area served: Florida.
Leanne Grillot, Dual Sensory Impairment Specialist, (850) 245-0478, Leanne.Grillot@fldoe.org
Monica Verra-Tirado, Chief, Bureau of Exceptional Education and Student Services, (850) 245-0475, Monica.Verra-Tirado@fldoe.org
Services for Children
- Conducts assessment of students with disabilities.
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Offers literacy programs.
- Education Services
- Administers educational programs for students with disabilities and for gifted students and coordinates student services throughout the state. Participates in multiple inter-agency efforts designed to strengthen the quality and variety of services available to students with special needs. Supports school districts and others in their efforts to provide exceptional student education programs for students ages 3-21 who have disabilities.
- Support for Parents
- Supports various activities that encourage parent involvement and parent/professional collaboration. Bureau staff respond to questions from parents and try to help them resolve concerns about their child's ESE programs and services. Parents and school districts may appeal the results of due process hearings to the bureau.
Services for Professionals
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Provides technical support to school districts and agencies.
- Professional Training
- Provides assistance for in-service teacher training through state or regional workshops.