Illinois State Board of Education: Special Education and Support Services - AFB Directory Profile
Illinois State Board of Education: Special Education and Support Services
100 North First Street
Springfield, IL 62777-0001
(217) 782-5589 (Local)
(217) 782-0372 (Fax)
(866) 262-6663 (Toll-Free)
(217) 782-1900 (TDD/TTY)
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00 AM-5:00 PM.
Geographic area served: Illinois
100 West Randolph
Chicago, IL 60601
Elizabeth Hanselman, Assistant Superintendent, Special Education and Support Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
Services for Children
- Education Services
- The Illinois State Board of Education partners with school districts to provide programs and services for students with specialized educational needs. Special Education Services assures that these programs and services meet state and federal requirements. This involves both compliance and technical assistance functions. Compliance functions include monitoring least restrictive environment compliance, administering due process system, providing mediation services, conducting compliant investigations, approving policies and procedures, conducting focused and comprehensive reviews and approving nonpublic special education facilities. Technical assistance functions involve providing information and guidance on promising practices in educating students with disabilities, including the operation of numerous statewide training and technical assistance initiatives, administering the comprehensive system of personnel development for special education and management of grant programs to schools for special education service delivery.
- Preschool Programs
- Oversees programs for children ages 0-3.
- Support for Parents
- Provides support to parents of children with disabilities to build equal partnerships with the educators who serve their children.
Services for Professionals
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Assists parents, teachers and service providers with information about continuum of services in the state.