Independent Living for Adult Blind - AFB Directory Profile
Independent Living for Adult Blind
c/o Florida State College at Jacksonville
101 West State Street
Jacksonville, FL 32202
(904) 633-8220 (Local)
(904) 632-5107 (Fax)
ILAB is a community-based rehabilitation program for adults and high school youth who have reduced vision to a degree that some difficulty is experienced in their daily activities. Through guidance and specialized training offered in the ILAB program, individuals learn necessary skills for work and independence in their homes and communities. Training is offered at no cost to eligible individuals.
This program is made possible through funding from the State Division of Blind Services, City of Jacksonville, St. Johns County and donations made through the Florida State College at Jacksonville Foundation for the ILAB Program. ILAB, located at the Florida State College at Jacksonville downtown campus, serves a five-county area that includes Baker, Clay, Duval, St. Johns and Nassau counties. For more information or to complete an application for services by phone, call 904.633.8220.
Instruction is provided at the downtown campus, in homes, or satellite locations as needed. The following programs are offered: Adjustment to Blindness Core Curriculum
The Transition Program is designed to help high-school aged visually-impaired teens in northeast Florida become active, productive, independent members of the community to the fullest extent of their abilities. It is a year-round program consisting of:
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00 AM-5:00 PM.
Number of staff: 17
Staff description: 12 Instructors on staff. Volunteers are utilized for special events and activities.
Geographic area served: Duval, Nassua, St. Johns Baker and Clay Counties.
Publications: Quarterly newsletter.
Patricia Marshall, President
Rebecca Simpson, Project Coordinator, email@example.com
Services for Adults
- Provides assessment of independent living and adjustment-to-blindness skills. Evaluates computer skills and access needs.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Offers computer services.
- Offers individual, group and family counseling. Refers for other services. Provides counseling and community integration support for seniors.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in personal management, communication, and home management skills. Provides training in skills of daily living and use of adaptive devices for seniors.
- Low Vision Services
- Prescribes and supplies low vision devices.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.