Kentucky Office for the Blind - AFB Directory Profile
Kentucky Office for the Blind
275 East Main Street
Mail Stop 2-EJ
Frankfort, KY 40621
(502) 782-3414 (Local)
(502) 564-2951 (Fax)
(800) 321-6668 (Toll-Free)
(502) 564-2929 (TDD/TTY)
The Kentucky Office for the Blind is a state government rehabilitation agency that offers assistance to persons who are blind or visually impaired. They also provide services for employers interested in hiring or accommodating workers who have a vision loss.
The mission of the Kentucky Office for the Blind is to provide opportunities for employment and independence to individuals with visual disabilities. They offer services that help individuals become more independent and productive in the workplace, community, school, and home.
Offices are located in Ashland, Bowling Green, Elizabethtown, Florence, Frankfort, Lexington, Louisville, Owensboro, Paducah, Prestonsburg, and Somerset.
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00 AM-4:30 PM.
Clients served on average per year: 2,911 (includes VR and IL)
Number of staff: 105
Geographic area served: Kentucky.
Publications: Monthly newsletter and annual reports.
411 19th Street
Ashland, KY 41101
153 Patchen Drive, Suite 17
Lexington, KY 40517
220 North Eighth Street, Suite E
Paducah, KY 42001
16 Bingham Street
Prestonsburg, KY 41653
400 East Main Street
Bowling Green, KY 42101
121 East Main Street
Owensboro, KY 42303
409 North Miles Street
Elizabethtown, KY 42701
650 North Main Street, Gateway Center, Suite 240
Somerset, KY 42501
8020 Veterans Memorial Drive #100
Florence, KY 41042
8412 Westport Road
Louisville, KY 40242
Allison Flanagan, Executive Director, (502) 782-3416, Allison.Flanagan@ky.gov
Richard Nesbitt, Director, Kentucky Business Enterprises, (502) 564-4754 243, Richard.Nesbitt@ky.gov
Gay Pannell, VR Administrator, Independent Living Services, (800) 222-1215, Gay.Pannell@ky.gov
Services for Adults
- Performs vocational and personal adjustment assessments.
- Assistive Products
- Distributes low vision devices and activities of daily living devices.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Offers training in the use of assistive technology.
- Offers rehabilitation counseling.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in the use of assistive devices, braille and advocacy. Offers independent living services for seniors across the state.
- Employment/Job Training
- Provides evaluation, work experience, pre-vocational and vocational training, vocational placement, follow-up services. Administers the Kentucky Business Enterprises, which trains and certifies Kentuckians who are legally blind and licenses them to operate vending and other food service facilities.
- Information and Referral
- Provides information regarding blindness-related services.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides training in orientation and mobility.
Services for Children
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Offers adult education and GED training at McDowell Center. Provides training in the use of braille.