Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired - AFB Directory Profile
Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired
1155 Market St. Floor #10
San Francisco, CA 94103
(415) 431-1481 (Local)
(415) 863-7568 (Fax)
(888) 400-8933 (Toll-Free)
(415) 431-4572 (TDD/TTY)
The LightHouse is the largest agency providing direct service, advocacy, and information to the blind and visually impaired community of Northern California. The goal of the LightHouse is to help individuals find solutions that make living independently with vision loss a reality.
Hours of operation: San Franciso Office: Mon.-Fri. 8:30 AM-6:00 PM; 3rd Saturday of each month 10:00am-4:00pm. Adaptations, the Lighthouse Store is open Mon-Fri 10:00 AM-6:00 PM and the 3rd Saturday of each month 11:00am-3:00pm.
Clients served on average per year: 1500
Number of staff: 75
Staff description: 75 employees plus summer counselors. Volunteers available for reading, in-home personal assistance.
Geographic area served: Northern California. Satellite offices in San Rafael, Berkely and Eureka, California.
Publications: The Quarterly Newsletter, Infocus, Lighthouse eNews (monthly), Northern California Entertainment and Recreation List (weekly).
LightHouse of Marin
930 Tamalpais Avenue
San Rafael, CA 94901
14690 Washington Avenue
San Leandro, CA 94578
Enchanted Hills Camp for the Blind
3410 Mt. Veeder Road
Napa, CA 94558
LightHouse of the North Coast
Humboldt Senior Resource Center
1910 California Street, Third Floor
Eureka, CA 95501
LightHouse for the Blind Ed Roberts Campus
3075 Adeline Street
Berkeley, CA 94703
Kathy Abrahamson, Director of Rehabilitation Services, (415) 431-1481, firstname.lastname@example.org
Bryan Bashin, Executive Director/CEO, email@example.com
Scott Blanks, Senior Director, Programs, firstname.lastname@example.org
W. Brandon Cox, Senior Director, Operations, (415) 694-7347, email@example.com
Anthony Fletcher, Director of Enchanted Hills Camp, (415) 694-7319, firstname.lastname@example.org
Brian Hardy, Directory of Technology, email@example.com
Greg Kehret, Director Information Services, (415) 694-7349
Shen Kuan, Assistive Technology Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dawn Leeflang, Rehabilitation Teacher/O&M Specialist, email@example.com
LisaMaria Martinez, Director of Community Services, (415) 694-7334, firstname.lastname@example.org
Services for Adults
- Assistive Products
- Sells low vision devices, talking watches/clocks/thermometers, braille slates, magnifiers, bold-line paper, braille/large-print playing cards, various board games. Products for sale on site or via mail order.
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Offers introductory classes in braille literacy.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Computer instruction in all basic PC useage including keyboarding skills. Accessible technology software training includes: JAWs, ZoomText, Open Book, Kurzweil, Supernova. Refreshable braille display. Wireless internet. Computer Open Lab hours are available to students and Computer Kiosk stations to general public who are blind or visually impaired.
- Provides information and referral, intake evaluation, crisis intervention, workshops and peer led support groups.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in daily living skills.
- Information and Referral
- Refers to senior programs.
- Low Vision Services
- Offers low vision examinations each Friday at our San Francisco office.
- Recreation Services
- Offers recreational and social programs for seniors and adults, including dances, field trips, and hot lunch on two weekdays. Operates Enchanted Hills Camp, a residential summer camp for children and adults.
- Services for Seniors
- Services for persons age 55 and older are provided from the following northern California locations: San Francisco, San Rafael and Eureka.
- Support Groups
- Support Group for individuals who are moving forward in their lives with changing vision.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.
Services for Children
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Provides instructon in braille.
- Employment/Job Training
- The Lighthouse Youth Program provides assistance to help ease the transition to adulthood for youth between the ages of 16-21.
- Summer/Day Camps and After-school Programs
- Enchanted Hills Camp provides a supportive environment for campers of all ages to meet other people with disabilities, make friends, enjoy nature, gain self-confidence, and develop skills toward further independence.