Lighthouse for the Visually Impaired and Blind, Inc. - AFB Directory Profile
Lighthouse for the Visually Impaired and Blind, Inc.
8610 Galen Wilson Boulevard
Port Richey, FL 34668
(727) 815-0303 (Local)
(727) 815-0203 (Fax)
The mission of Lighthouse is to provide people who are visually impaired with the skills needed to achieve maximum independence. The Lighthouse provides free vision rehabilitation services to people who are visually impaired and blind, from babies to those in their senior years.
The Lighthouse has two permanent locations in West Pasco and Hernando (Brooksville) counties. Independent Living Skills classes are held at both permanent locations, as well as in community centers located in places like Zephyrhills, Dade City, and Lecanto. In addition, home-based training is provided to many individuals. Lighthouse services are provided at no cost to clients and their families.
Services include independent living skills, orientation and mobility training, braille literacy, assistive technology, job readiness, and individual counseling, support groups and regular drop-ins.
Youth programs include: Little Lighthouse – Early Intervention (Ages: 0-5); Children’s Activities (Ages: 5-13); School to Work Transition (Ages: 14-21).
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00 AM-4:30 PM. Mon.-Fri. 8:00 AM-1:30 PM.
Clients served on average per year: 1,500+
Number of staff: 23
Staff description: Certified care managers, certified rehabilitation teachers, experienced low vision specialists.
Geographic area served: Pasco, Hernando & Citrus Counties.
Publications: Read our free newsletter, LVIB IN TOUCH, produced 2 times per year, available online and in print. Signup to receive the online version automatically. http://www.lvib.org/lvib-in-touch
6492 California Street
Brooksville, FL 34604-8403
Sylvia Perez, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Patty Porter, Grants Coordinator / Newsletter Editor, email@example.com
Brad Taylor, Assistive Technology Instructor
Services for Adults
- Provides assessment.
- Assistive Products
- Training and distribution for low vision devices and appliances (magnifiers, lighting, talking clocks, signature guides, bold paper, large-print items). Products for sale on site.
- Community Outreach Programs
- Conducts services such as screening and other related activities in the community to identify and assist individuals in need of assistance.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Offers computer training and training on various devices that increase independence.
- Offers counseling for individuals/groups, refers for school/training placement and community services.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in daily living/communication skills, sensory training, training in the use of low vision devices.
- Employment/Job Training
- Provides occupational skill development and consultation to other agencies for vocational placement.
- Information and Referral
- Provides general information about blindness and visual impairment and referrals to sources of other information and services.
- Library Services
- Connects clients with talking book and other reading services.
- Low Vision Services
- Provides low vision services and adaptive devices and appliances for people of all ages experiencing low vision.
- Recreation Services
- Offers arts and crafts activities, hobby groups, current events and other programs for elderly people.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.
Services for Children
- Early Intervention/Infant Services
- Offers the Little Lighthouse, an early intervention program for children birth to five. Offers parent education.
- Employment/Job Training
- Provides a year-round transition program for teens with vision loss ages 14 and up.
- Summer/Day Camps and After-school Programs
- Offers a one week summer program and quarterly activities designed to provide children with social and recreational opportunities to increase their confidence, social skills development, and introduce independent living and movement skills.
Services for Professionals
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Provides advice, assistance and consultative support to local schools, teachers of visually impaired students and other agencies.
- Professional Training
- Offers in-service meetings to local medical personnel.