Lighthouse of Southwest Florida, Inc. - AFB Directory Profile
Lighthouse of Southwest Florida, Inc.
35 West Mariana Avenue
North Fort Myers, FL 33918-5515
(239) 997-7797 (Local)
(239) 997-8462 (Fax)
Lighthouse of SWFL is the designated community resource provider of training and rehabilitation services for the blind and visually impaired that live in Lee and Collier counties in Florida. We provide services from birth until end of life.
Lighthouse SWFL offers rehabilitation services that help babies, children, teenagers and adults adjust and cope with vision loss. Lighthouse holds classes and provides training throughout Lee, Hendry and Glades Counties of Florida. Lighthouse offers activities of daily living, braille, eccentric viewing training (reading), assistive technology, orientation and mobility, social services, counseling, arts and crafts classes, festive events, family education and community outreach activities.
Hours of operation: Mon.-Thurs. 7:30 AM-5:30 PM
Clients served on average per year: 400
Number of staff: 21
Staff description: 14 full-time, 3 part-time and a small army of volunteers.
Geographic area served: Lighthouse SWFL is the designated blind/low vision community resource provider for Lee, Hendry and Glades counties in SW Florida; clients also come from other neighboring communities.
Publications: newsletter, brochures, reports, etc.
- Has a year-round Transition Program for young people between 14-22 years of age. Program includes acomprehensive range of services as determined by individual client's needs and goals.
Services for Adults
- Eligibility determination and needs assessment performed by trainee and qualified staff member.
- Provides social evaluation; individual, group, family counseling. Refers for other counseling/social work services.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in activities of daily living, braille, typing, handwriting, remedial education, home management, sensory training. Services provided primarily at the center. Refers and provides consultation to other agencies for rehabilitation services.
- Employment/Job Training
- Offers job development for computer students.
- Low Vision Services
- Offers screening for magnification. Low vision practitioner available.
- Recreation Services
- Offers arts and crafts programs, special interest events, speakers and activities, trips, and weekend programs.
- Services for Seniors
- Offers a broad range of services for older clients interested in pursuing either vocational or personal goals.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.
Services for Children
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Offers braille instruction by certified teacher.