Lions Center for the Blind - AFB Directory Profile
Lions Center for the Blind
Oakland, CA 94612
(510) 450-1580 (Local)
(510) 654-3603 (Fax)
Our mission is to empower and enrich the lives of the Blind and Visually Impaired Community. We provide the tools and opportunities through education and training, so those we serve may live full productive lives. We are committed to providing high quality State Certified programs, designed to promote the fullest integration into society and into the workforce.
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Clients served on average per year: 500
Number of staff: 20
Staff description: Our instructional staff consists of certified Orientation and Mobility instructors, vision rehabilitation instructors and experts in the fields of Braille, computers and adaptive technology, and independent living skills. Our most senior instructor has over 30 years experience.
Geographic area served: Primary service area: Alameda, Contra Costa and Solano Counties. Additional service areas: Napa, Marin, San Francisco, Sonoma, San Mateo, and Santa Clara Counties.
Michelle Taylor Lagunas, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Caleb van Docto, Director of Services
Services for Adults
- Assistive Products
- Assistance on selecting and training on the use of assistive devices. Free assistive devices for clients over 55.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Provides training, individual assessments, technical support, and work-site evaluations.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in personal skills, home management, care of clothing, eating techniques, use of telephone, money management, banking and cooking.
- Employment/Job Training
- Provides assessments, skills training, job development and placement.
- Information and Referral
- Provides information to blind and visually impaired people and their families.
- Low Vision Services
- Low Vision devices.
- Recreation Services
- Offers life enrichment programs, exercise, field trips, arts and crafts, hobby groups, programs for the elderly, and bowling.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides training orientation and mobility skills.
Services for Children
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Provides training in reading and writing braille and use of adaptive writing aids.
Services for Professionals
- Professional Training
- Offers internship and supervised field work placement in orientation and mobility, social work, special education, and regular in-service training programs.