Louisiana School for the Visually Impaired - AFB Directory Profile
Louisiana School for the Visually Impaired
2888 Brightside Lane
Baton Rouge, LA 70820
(225) 757-3482 (Local)
(225) 757-3486 (Fax)
Hours of operation: 24 hours a day Monday-Friday
Geographic area served: Louisiana.
Publications: Informational Handout
Leslie Bello, Supervisor of Administration, (225) 757-3482, email@example.com
Gwendolyn Etienne, Principal, (225) 757-3482, firstname.lastname@example.org
Pat Geiss, Supervisor of Curriculum and Instruction, (225) 757-3482, email@example.com
Bobby Simpson, Director, (225) 757-3482, firstname.lastname@example.org
Services for Children
- The Assessment Center conducts functional vision assessments which include interpretation of medical information about the student’s eye condition and educational implications; functional visual acuity estimates; the student’s need for optical aids and assistive devices; learning/reading media; orientation and mobility skills (travel skills); and, living skills. The Center assists in the identification and assessment of students with visual impairments in parish and city school systems through out Louisiana.
- Community Outreach Programs
- Outreach Services works in cooperation with parish school systems to identify, assess, and, if necessary, develop and implement individualized programs for their respective students.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Offers training in the following: Computer operating systems, Optical character recognition systems, Screen magnification systems, Speech output systems, Video magnifier/CCTV, and Word processing.
- Early Intervention/Infant Services
- Provides evaluations of infants by LEA referral.
- Education Services
- Provides educational services to blind and visually impaired students grades K-12. Provides instruction in physical education, adaptive physical education, daily living skills, pre-vocational and vocational training, and other specific areas directly related to the education of the visually impaired in addition to standard academic subjects.
- Employment/Job Training
- Provides training in vocational skills and transitional planning.
- Provides general medical, dental, and ophthalmological services.
- Low Vision Services
- Provides low vision evaluation and follow-up. Prescribes and supplies low vision devices.
- Preschool Programs
- Provides educational services for students ages 3-5.
- Recreation Services
- Offers recreational and extracurricular activities for enrolled students. LSVI, in conjunction with the Breckenridge Outdoor Education Center, organizes a ski trip for VI/blind students sometime during the winter months.
- Summer/Day Camps and After-school Programs
- Offers summer and/or short-term academic year programs for students in Louisiana who need intensive instruction in such areas as braille reading and writing, living skills, orientation and mobility, and the use of assistive devices. School year weekend camps and summer week long camps are available to all Louisiana VI/blind students.
Services for Professionals
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Provides consultation and technical assistance to schools throughout Louisiana.
- Professional Training
- Provides in-service training for professionals.