U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: Maj. Charles R. Soltes, Jr., O.D. Blind Rehabilitation Center - AFB Directory Profile
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: Maj. Charles R. Soltes, Jr., O.D. Blind Rehabilitation Center
VA Long Beach Health Care System
5901 East 7th Street
Long Beach, CA 90822
(562) 826-8000 6037 (Local)
This organization serves U.S. Veterans and active duty personnel.
Clients served on average per year: 135
Number of staff: 28
Staff description: Low vision specialist, social worker, O&M instructors, rehabilitation teachers, psychologist, manual skills instructors, computer access training instructors and specialist, recreation therapist. Allied staff: Optometrist, optometry students and residents, audiologists, Kineseotherapists, nurses and other healthcare professionals.
Geographic area served: Southern California and Southern Nevada
Anthony Candela, Director
Services for Adults
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Offers computer access training.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Veterans learn adaptive skills for self-care, home maintenance, meal preparation and other daily living activities.
- Low Vision Services
- Following comprehensive evaluation, Veterans are provided and trained to use various optical aids that may help in making optimum use of remaining vision.
- Recreation Services
- Recreation therapy activites, including community outings,are provided to improve and enrich independence and quality of life.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Orientation and mobility training is offered to promote safe and independent travel in a variety of travel environents. Related programs include advanced wayfinding and power mobility training.