Mobile Association for the Blind - AFB Directory Profile
Mobile Association for the Blind
2440 Gordon Smith Drive
Mobile, AL 36617
(251) 473-3585 (Local)
(251) 470-8622 (Fax)
(877) 292-5463 (Toll-Free)
In 1924, a group of concerned citizens in Mobile started the Mobile Association for the Blind to create job opportunities for people who were blind.
The Mobile Association for the Blind is now a 45,000 square foot manufacturing facility where many visually impaired individuals who are not able to join the public workforce are employed in our Sheltered Workshop.
Our organization also provides assistance to other citizens with disabilities. Counseling and evaluation, skills training, and job placement are just some of the services we provide to help create the self-esteem needed to become productive members of society.
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00 AM-4:30 PM.
Geographic area served: Southwest Alabama.
James Bullock, Executive Director, email@example.com
Services for Adults
- Community Outreach Programs
- Provides speakers to address local service organizations to inform them about available services to the handicapped and to identify those in need of such services.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in vocational rehabilitation and orientation and mobility skills.
- Employment/Job Training
- Provides pre-employment preparation, sheltered workshop, and job placement for people who are blind, visually impaired, deaf, or have other disabilities. Sells products manufactured in workshops.
- Information and Referral
- Provides information and referral to state agencies and community resources.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.