North Carolina Department of Public Instruction: Exceptional Children Division - AFB Directory Profile
North Carolina Department of Public Instruction: Exceptional Children Division
301 N. Wilmington Street
Raleigh, NC 27601-2585
(919) 807-3969 (Local)
(919) 807-3243 (Fax)
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 7:30 AM-5:30 PM.
Geographic area served: North Carolina.
Publications: Students with Visual Impairments: A Handbook.
Kathy Baars, Early Childhood Consultant
David Mills, Section Chief , Areas of Exceptionality
Mary Watson, Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Tom Winton, Consultant for Visually Impaired Services and Assistive Technology, email@example.com
Services for Children
- Education Services
- Serves as a resource to local education agencies throughout the state. The Consultant for the Visual Impairment Program is involved with program planning and development for quality education for students with visual impairments. Provides via quota funds textbooks and other educational materials in alternate formats.
- Information and Referral
- Provides information to students who are blind or visually impaired and their parents about educational services available to them in North Carolina public education. Refers to external agencies and community resources where appropriate.
Services for Professionals
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Provides consultation/technical assistance to school districts and external agencies working with students who are blind or visually impaired.
- Professional Training
- Provides in-service and other training opportunities for teachers of visually impaired and others providing educational services to this population.