North Central Sight Services, Inc. - AFB Directory Profile
North Central Sight Services, Inc.
2121 Reach Road
Williamsport, PA 17701
(570) 323-9401 (Local)
(570) 323-8194 (Fax)
Prevention. Independence. Employment.
North Central Sight Services, Inc. is a nonprofit organization based in Williamsport, Pennsylvania. We provide prevention of blindness education and vision screenings for adults and children that detect potential issues and eye diseases. Our Functional Vision Clinic allows children to see a pediatric optometrist that specializes in visual learning. We also have a Remedial Eye Care Program that provides financial assistance for prescription eyeglasses to eligible families. We also provide valuable support for those living with vision loss including sighted-guide transportation for essential appointments, daily supportive services, social and recreational support groups, and referrals for additional community resources. Our employment program provides job opportunities for individuals who are blind or visually impaired in an industry setting. We offer a variety of positions ranging from assembly to data entry and order processing. Our associates receive wages above minimum wage and full benefits.
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:30 AM-4:30 PM.
Clients served on average per year: 550+
Number of staff: 62
Staff description: North Central Sight Services, Inc. has trained Prevention of Blindness Coordinators that provide vision screenings, Life Skill Assistants that provide daily services such as sighted-guide transportation, and a Certified Vision Rehabilitation Therapist.
Geographic area served: Lycoming, Clinton, Sullivan, Centre, Bradford, and Tioga Counties.
Publications: Newsletter (bimonthly)as well as numerous brochures on our services and eye conditions.
Branch Office and Low Vision Store
221 West High Street
Bellefonte, PA 16823
Robert Garrett, President and CEO, firstname.lastname@example.org
Services for Adults
- Provides preschool vision screenings and adult vision screening, prevention of blindness services (including intraocular pressure screenings and public education).
- Community Outreach Programs
- Provides public education presentations and materials on overall eye health and eye safety.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Our Certified Low Vision Rehabilitation Therapist provides training on Low Vision Aids and technology such as CCTV, iPad, and applications for smart phones.
- We offer social and recreational support groups as well as individual support for people coping with vision loss.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides life skills training in home management, communications, and personal management skills. We also offer Vision Rehabilitation Therapy.
- Employment/Job Training
- North Central Sight Services, Inc. believes that employment, for people who are blind or members of the professional staff, should be a rewarding experience. We offer facility-based employment opportunities. All full time Associates receive the same level of employee benefits. All Associates working in our Industry are paid above minimum wage and our professional staff is paid a competitive salary. We do all that we can to create a positive, balanced and productive work environment for all Associates. Work stations and operations are adapted for our Associates to provide the least restrictive environment and to maximize productivity.
- Information and Referral
- Provides referrals to state blindness and local agencies.
- Low Vision Services
- North Central Sight Services, Inc. provides vision screenings for both adults and children and a Functional Vision Clinic. The Functional Vision Clinic allows children to see a pediatric optometrist that specializes in visual learning and offer prescriptions for eye glasses. We also can work with regional eye care professionals for low vision evaluations.
- Recreation Services
- North Central Sight Services offers a number of social and recreational support groups.
Services for Professionals
- Professional Training
- Offers internship/fieldwork placement in social work, in-service training programs for volunteers and other agencies.