NSSEO Visually Impaired Support Services - AFB Directory Profile
NSSEO Visually Impaired Support Services
201 South Evanston
Arlington Heights, IL 60004-6899
(847) 463-8291 (Local)
(847) 463-8114 (Fax)
(847) 463-8115 (TDD/TTY)
Hours of operation: School hours.
Staff description: Certified TVI, O&M, and rehabilitation teachers.
Geographic area served: Northwest suburban Chicago.
Shelle Hamer, Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
Services for Children
- Provides functional vision assessments and clinics and rehabilitation and orientation and mobility assessments. Provides referral through school districts only.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides rehabilitation services, including orientation and mobility and direct vision services, to students of member school districts ages 3-21.
- Early Intervention/Infant Services
- Offers assessments only. Contact through CFC.
- Education Services
- Provides both direct and indirect educational services. These range from the supports necessary to allow special education students to benefit from instruction within the regular classroom to special day schools for students needing a more structured environment with onsite and intensive related services. Other service options include resource rooms and special education classrooms located within member district buildings, direct services provided by NSSEO staff within member district special education classes, diagnostic evaluation of district students by NSSEO specialists, vocational training and transition assistance, technical assistance to district special education programs, outdoor education and comprehensive staff development opportunities.
- Employment/Job Training
- Transition services provided to students ages 14-21 educated in member districts.
- Support for Parents
- Training and support available for parents.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.
Services for Professionals
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Provides support for member school districts.