San Diego Center for the Blind and Vision Impaired - AFB Directory Profile
San Diego Center for the Blind and Vision Impaired
5922 El Cajon Boulevard
San Diego, CA 92115
(619) 583-1542 (Local)
(619) 583-2335 (Fax)
The mission of the San Diego Center for the Blind is to increase the abilities of any adult with blindness or vision impairment to reach their own highest level of independence.
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:30 AM-4:30 PM.
Clients served on average per year: 1,200
Number of staff: 32 paid staff, 100+ volunteers
Geographic area served: San Diego County.
Publications: Quarterly Newsletter
1385 Bonair Road
Vista, CA 92084-4164
Kim Gibbens, Executive Director, email@example.com
Services for Adults
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Provides training in the use of a wide range of computer technology to assist those individuals with no vision as well as those with changing vision.
- Offers individual, group, family, and outreach counseling.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in activities of daily living, typing, computer skills, handwriting, resource information, sensory awareness, clothing construction, kitchen skills, transition to community, English as a second language.
- Employment/Job Training
- Offers the Employment Training Services (ETS) program to assist individuals who want to enter or reenter the public workforce.
- Support Groups
- Offers a number of support groups to assist individuals as they move into a more independent lifestyle
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.
Services for Children
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Offers instruction in braille.