Santa Clara Valley Blind Center - AFB Directory Profile
Santa Clara Valley Blind Center
101 North Bascom Avenue
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 295-4016 (Local)
(408) 295-1398 (Fax)
For more than 50 years, SCVBC has provided support to individuals facing the uncertainties, fears, and challenges related to uncorrectable vision loss. SCVBC is a community-based organization dedicated to increasing the confidence, independence, and quality of life of the blind and visually impaired. SCVBC tackles complex vision loss issues comprehensively through rehabilitative, educational, and recreational services that ensure the long-term independence and empowerment of our clients.
Hours of operation: Monday-Thursday. 9:00 AM-3:00 PM
Clients served on average per year: Approximately 900
Number of staff: 2 full-time, 4 part-time
Geographic area served: Santa Clara Valley.
Publications: SCVBC Activities (quarterly)
Sergio Alatorre, Activity Coordinator, (408) 295-4016 204, email@example.com
Judy Arvidson, Chief Operations Officer, (408) 295-4016 213, firstname.lastname@example.org
Trish Foley, Rehab Services Instructor - O&M/LVL, (408) 295-4016 219, email@example.com
Dawn Haskin, Program Service Coordinator, (408) 295-4016 202, firstname.lastname@example.org
Daniel Steve Mahan, CEO/Executive Director, (408) 295-4016 201, email@example.com
Ernesto Molina, Rehab Services Instructor - Accessible Technology & Computer Training, (408) 295-4016 212, firstname.lastname@example.org
Services for Adults
- Assistive Products
- Sells white canes, talking watches and clocks, braille paper, and large print games.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Offers training in the use of accessible technology and computer training (Apple and PC platforms) for blind or visually impaired users
- Provides a wide variety of individual and or/family/support counseling for vision impaired clients.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Offers classes in Living with Vision Loss, Adjusting to Vision Loss, support groups.
- In-Home Services
- In-home services by Rehab Staff to provide safety instruction within the home.
- Reading Services
- In-home Volunteers are available as readers to help clients with mail and paperwork.
- Recreation Services
- Provides a wide spectrum of recreational, social, and therapeutic activities that encourage socialization, independence, and increased quality of life for our clients. Activities include yoga, low impact aerobics, outings, luncheons, sewing, ceramics, pottery, and more!
- Support Groups
- Offers support groups at agency.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Offers one-on-one training in proper long cane use, Guide Dog and guide techniques. Instructor assesses client's home for safety and ease of functioning.
Services for Children
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Provides braille instruction through client volunteers.