Savannah Center for Blind and Low Vision, previously Savannah Association for the Blind - AFB Directory Profile
Savannah Center for Blind and Low Vision, previously Savannah Association for the Blind
1141 Cornell Avenue
Savannah, GA 31406
(912) 236-4473 (Local)
(912) 234-9286 (Fax)
Savannah Cneter for Blind and Low Vision (SCBLV), previously Savannah Association for the Blind, Incorporated, is a private, nonprofit agency serving the general public in southeastern Georgia and coastal South Carolina. The mission of SCBLV is to provide rehabilitation services designed to help blind and visually impaired individuals in all walks of life function independently in their homes and in the community.
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:30 AM-5:00 PM.
Clients served on average per year: 210
Number of staff: 13
Staff description: 1 Executive Director, 1 Certified VRT,1 Orientation & Mobility Specialist, 1 Vocational Counselor, 1 Director of Services, 1 Assistive Technology Specialist, 1 Contracts Administrator, 1 Low Vision Coordinator, 1 Low Vision Optometrist
Geographic area served: 29 counties in Southeast Georgia
Elaine Byron, Director of Services, (912) 236-4473, firstname.lastname@example.org
Lois Modell, Executive Director, email@example.com
Services for Adults
- Provides pre-assessment and post-assessment to determine functional capacities.
- Community Outreach Programs
- Community outreach provided.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Offers training in the use of assistive technology.
- Offers individual, group, family/parent, couple counseling; social evaluations; referral to community services. Refers for other counseling/social work services.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in daily living skills, communication skills, and the use of adaptive devices.
- Employment/Job Training
- Refers for employment-oriented services.
- In-Home Services
- Provides supports for elderly individuals, (and their families, if present), who do not function fully independently, but who do not need 24-hour nursing care.
- Information and Referral
- Refers for vocational, educational, library services.
- Low Vision Services
- Provides low vision evaluation and follow-up. Prescribes and supplies low vision devices.
- Services for Seniors
- providing services to older blind - 55 years and older in Chatham County and the other 29 surrounding counties
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training. helps each individual learn to travel with others using the sighted guide technique and to travel independently using a white cane.
Services for Children
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Provides training in communication skills.
- Provides family conseling.
Services for Professionals
- Professional Training
- Offers internship/field work, placement in social work and rehabilitation training, regular in-service training program.