Southern Arizona Association for the Visually Impaired (formerly DBA Tucson Association for the Blind & Visually Impaired) - AFB Directory Profile
Southern Arizona Association for the Visually Impaired (formerly DBA Tucson Association for the Blind & Visually Impaired)
3767 East Grant Road
Tucson, AZ 85716
(520) 795-1331 (Local)
(520) 795-1336 (Fax)
SAAVI is a private, nonprofit independent living center whose mission is to provide dynamic and progressive programs and services to meet the rehabilitation and social needs of individuals with vision loss, to encourage individuals to become active participants in determining their success, and to raise public awareness through community involvement and establishment of partnerships with others.
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00 AM-5:00 PM, special evening and weekend activities.
Number of staff: 34
Staff description: 20 full-time, 14 part-time, extensive use of volunteers.
Geographic area served: Southern Arizona.
Jose Coronado, Assistive Technology Instructor, firstname.lastname@example.org
Michael Gordon, Executive Director, email@example.com
Melanie Kondziolka, Orientation & Mobility Instructor, firstname.lastname@example.org
Services for Adults
- Offers social evaluations, group and individual counseling, social work.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Offers classes and training to promote emotional adjustment, consumer education and advocacy, and independent living skills. Provides group and individual training in home and personal management skills, cooking, handwriting, and in the use of adaptive aids. Runs a mentor program, counseling, outreach and referrals to community resources, rehabilitation, adjustment and employment services for developmentally disabled. Offers some social/recreational programs, job development, employment and technology services.
- Recreation Services
- Offers limited center-based programs and services directed toward participation in community activities.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.
Services for Children
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Offers braille instruction.
- Education Services
- Offers a scholarship program for visually impaired post-secondary students.