Southern Will County Cooperative for Special Education - AFB Directory Profile
Southern Will County Cooperative for Special Education
1207 North Larkin Avenue
Joliet, IL 60435
(815) 741-7777 (Local)
(915) 741-7779 (Fax)
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00 AM-4:00 PM.
Number of staff: 3 for SOWIC, 19 total for the five counties
Staff description: Two full-time certified teachers of the visually impaired and a program administrator who coordinates services for the visually impaired for a five county area.
Geographic area served: Grundy, Will, Kendall, Kankakee, and LaSalle Counties.
Patricia Hall, Program Administrator, Visually Impaired Programs
Services for Children
- Functional vision assessment.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Provides training in computer operating systems, optical character recognition systems, screen magnification systems, speech output systems, video magnifier/CCTV, and word processing.
- Early Intervention/Infant Services
- Provides vision assessment and consultation for infants-age 3.
- Education Services
- Provides direct services to visually impaired children ages 3-21.
- Preschool Programs
- Direct and consultation services provided to visually impaired children ages 3-5.
Services for Professionals
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Provides assistance to local schools with visually impaired children.