Special Education Service Agency - AFB Directory Profile
Special Education Service Agency
3501 Denali Street
Anchorage, AK 99503
(907) 334-1300 (Local)
(907) 562-0545 (Fax)
(907) 563-8284 (TDD/TTY)
SESA is an educational service agency comprised of a low incidence disability service inclusive of a statewide lending library. Low incidence disabilities include autism, Deaf and Hard of Hearing (DHOH), vision impairment, emotional disabilities and multiple disabilities. In addition, SESA operates two grants:
Alaska Autism Resource Center (AARC)
Alaska Deaf Blind Project (DSI)
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00 AM-4:30 PM.
Number of staff: 20
Geographic area served: Alaska.
Publications: SESA Newsletter (monthly, digital only).
Angel Black, Specialist, (907) 334-1333, firstname.lastname@example.org
Anne Freitag, Librarian, (907) 334-1301, email@example.com
Patrick Pillai, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Services for Children
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Offers braille instruction.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in activities of daily living; braille; handwriting; typing; use of assistive technology such as video magnifiers, Optacon, electronic mobility aids; home management; sensory training; rehabilitation teaching in student's home and community, sensory training.
- Education Services
- Provides instruction in all developmental areas, parent and teacher training, and consultant services to other programs. Accepts deaf-blind, mentally challenged, other multiply disabled students, ages 3-21. Offers a special blind program, college preparation, academic, vocational and skills development programs. Itinerant staff delivers on-site services statewide to local districts. Provides instructional materials for students who are blind or visually impaired in Alaska.
- Employment/Job Training
- Provides career and skills counseling, consultation to other agencies, and pre-vocational evaluation. Refers for other employment services.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.
Services for Professionals
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Provides technical assistance, training, and consultation to school districts with students who are visually impaired.