the Seeing Hand Association, Inc. - AFB Directory Profile
the Seeing Hand Association, Inc.
750 Main Street
Wheeling, WV 26003-2571
(304) 232-4810 (Local)
(304) 230-1920 (Fax)
The Seeing Hand Association, Inc. began services in 1936 and was incorporated in 1946 in Wheeling, WV. It serves citizens in Ohio and West Virginia. It offers a number of specialized services for blind and visually impaired individuals, including community education, advocacy, adaptive technology skills training, orientation and mobility training, job development, and a low vision clinic. These services assist in meeting the identified needs of the individual while maintaining our core values of accountability, honesty, integrity, trust, teamwork, independence, personal and professional growth, dignity and self-esteem.
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 9:00 AM-4:00 PM.
Clients served on average per year: 870
Number of staff: 7
Geographic area served: West Virginia, Northern Panhandle and Eastern Ohio.
Karen Haught, Executive Director, (304) 232-4810 14
Bob Hicks, Computer Instructor, (304) 232-4810, email@example.com
Theresa Kurtz, Outreach Coordinator, (304) 232-4810, firstname.lastname@example.org
Services for Adults
- Employment/Job Training
- Offers workshops in chair caning, rug weavings, subcontract work, crafts. Employment Network for "Ticket-to-Work."
- Low Vision Services
- Offers low vision rehabilitation services through a licensed OD by referral only. Services consist of exam, evaluation and loaner devices. Other rehabilitation services are listed.
- Recreation Services
- Holds picnics, Christmas parties, bowling league and various leisure time activities.
- Support Groups
- Holds support groups for visually impaired individuals and family members/significant others.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides assessment and training in travel skills, orientation to home and workplace.
Services for Children
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Provides instruction in braille.