U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: American Lake Blind Rehabilitation Center - AFB Directory Profile
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: American Lake Blind Rehabilitation Center
VA Puget Sound Health Care System
9600 Veterans Drive, SW
Building 5 (A-112-BRC)
Tacoma, WA 98493
(253) 583-1299 (Local)
(253) 589-4112 (Fax)
(800) 329-8387 (Toll-Free)
Hours of operation: Instructional hours: 7:30 AM-4:00 PM.
Number of staff: 25
Staff description: Blind rehabilitation specialists, including O&M, rehabilitation teaching, computer access technology, low vision and manual skills instructors; optometrist, social worker, 24/7 nursing staff.
Geographic area served: Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, and Wyoming.
Page Howard, Social Worker, (253) 583-1299
Kim Richardson, VIST Coordinator, Kim.Richardson@VA.gov
Tim Sniffen, Director, (253) 583-1299, email@example.com
Walt Werkhoven, VIST Coordinator, Walter.Werkhoven@VA.gov
Idella Whitfield-Stith, Nurse Manager, (253) 583-1299
Services for Adults
- Blind rehabilitation assessment provided.
- Community Outreach Programs
- Blind Rehabilitation Outreach Service.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Offers training in computers and assistive technology devices.
- Offers group and individual counseling.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Offers full program of blind rehabilitation including orientation and mobility, activities of daily living, low vision training, manual skills. Serves referral applicants from VA centers and clinics in service area. Provides rehabilitation services for elderly veterans.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.