U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: Southwestern Blind Rehabilitation Center - AFB Directory Profile
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: Southwestern Blind Rehabilitation Center
Southern Arizona VA Health Care System
3601 South Sixth Avenue
Tucson, AZ 85723
(520) 629-4643 (Local)
(520) 629-4642 (Fax)
Hours of operation: Training hours: Mon.-Fri. 7:30 AM-4:00 PM. The facility is operational 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Clients served on average per year: 375
Number of staff: 59
Staff description: Orientation & Mobility Specialists, Rehab Teachers, Low Vision Specialists, Computer Instructors, Manual Skills Instructors, Optometrist, Psychologist, Nursing, Recreation Coordinator, Dietician, Physician, Research, Diabetic Educator
Geographic area served: Southwestern United States of America.
Diana Kellermeyer, Clinical Director, (520) 629-4643, Diana.Kellermeyer@va.gov
Ellen Lee, Assistant Clinical Director, (520) 629-4643, Ellen.Lee@va.gov
Services for Adults
- Community Outreach Programs
- Does outreach through Visual Impairment Services Teams.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Provides computer training.
- Provides counseling and specialized services to veterans attending the program, family and peer counseling, and community integration support.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides residential services to visually impaired veterans of all ages, including assessments, evaluations, and training in the skills of daily living, low vision, orientation and mobility, manual skills and computer access. Also issues aids and appliances that are deemed necessary for people who are the blind. Provides blind rehabilitation training in a residential facility.
- Information and Referral
- Provides awareness training and referral services.
- Library Services
- Maintains a library and talking book service.
- Low Vision Services
- Provides low vision evaluation and follow-up. Prescribes and supplies low vision devices.
- Recreation Services
- Provides recreational services to program participants.
- Services for Seniors
- Has a residential in-patient program that provides comprehensive adjustment to blindness training.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.