Vision Institute of South Carolina - AFB Directory Profile
Vision Institute of South Carolina
P.O. Box 1923
Irmo, SC 29063
(803) 627-8847 (Local)
(803) 335-5153 (Fax)
The Vision Institute of South Carolina is a non-profit organization that exists to promote achievement and independence for people who are visually impaired and blind.
Hours of operation: Monday thru Friday 8:00-4:00
Number of staff: 20
Staff description: Teachers for the visually impaired, Orientation and Mobility Specialists, Braille Transcriptionist, Early Interventionists
Geographic area served: South Carolina
Jeanie Farmer, Executive Director, (803) 627-8847, firstname.lastname@example.org
Services for Adults
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Assist adults in determining the most useful accommodations and devices that will enable them to be independent in their daily living activities.
Services for Children
- Early Intervention/Infant Services
- Provides both instruction and service coordination as part of family-centered early intervention services through partnerships with SC Department of Disabilities and Special Needs and SC First Steps/BabyNet.
- Education Services
- TVI teachers for the visually impaired raise expectations for programs and students through a wide range of assessments and instructional models for students who are academically gifted as well as those with significant physical and intellectual challenges. Functional vision and learning media assessments beginning at transition age (2½) through exit from school-age services provide direction for well-developed instructional plans. TVI teachers participate as members of the child’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP) team to assist in developing goals. Our teachers are experienced in instructing the use of low vision devices and the latest technology as well as beginning and advanced braille.
Services for Professionals
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Offers comprehensive facility environmental assessments and basic or comprehensive training for staff in Senior Services Low Vision Care
2/17/2017 Teacher of the Visually ImpairedVision Institute of South Carolina, is this page missing one of your services, events, programs, or announcements? Update your information for free.