Visually Impaired Center - AFB Directory Profile
Visually Impaired Center
1422 W. Court Street
Flint, MI 48503
(810) 235-2544 (Local)
(810) 235-2597 (Fax)
The Visually Impaired Center is committed to developing resources and collaborative programs, as well as providing services that enable independent life for people with vision loss.
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00 AM-4:00 PM.
Clients served on average per year: 200
Number of staff: 4 full-time, 3 part-time,
Staff description: VIC has a small but dedicated staff including an Executive Director, Administrative Assistant, Certified Vision Rehabilitation Therapist, Certified Diabetes Educator/R.N., Orientation & Mobility Instructor and Fund Development/Marketing Manager. VIC also has about 50 volunteers who assist the agency with a variety of duties including reading to clients, fundraising activities and receptionist responsibilities.
Geographic area served: Genesee, Shiawassee, and Lapeer Counties.
Publications: Periodic Newsletter
Kate Bugbee, Fund Development Marketing Manager, (810) 235-2544, firstname.lastname@example.org
Leanne Ford, Certified Vision Rehabilitation Therapist, (810) 235-2544, email@example.com
Sharon Reigle, Executive Director
Services for Adults
- Provides social work assessment.
- Offers assessment and referral needed for services including peer support group, rehabilitation teaching, orientation and mobility, computer instruction.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- VIC provides training in personal management, braille, handwriting, home management, and orientation and mobility skills. VIC also offers instruction in diabetes self-management including insulin measurement, blood glucose monitoring and cooking classes. Computer classes are also available.
- Employment/Job Training
- Provides training in job retention, job retraining, computer instruction. Refers for other employment-oriented services.
- Recreation Services
- Refers for recreational services.
Services for Children
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Offers braille classes, Grade I and II.
Services for Professionals
- Professional Training
- Offers internships, field placements for social work (BA and MSW), and orientation and mobility.