Washington Sensory Disabilities Services - AFB Directory Profile
Washington Sensory Disabilities Services
430 Olds Station Road
Wenatchee, WA 98801
(509) 665-2630 (Local)
(509) 662-9027 (Fax)
(800) 572-7000 (Toll-Free)
WSDS provides information, training, technical assistance and resources to families and educators statewide regarding children from birth to age 21 who are blind, visually impaired, deaf, hard of hearing, or deaf-blind.
Hours of operation: 8:00 A.M.-5:00 P.M. Mon-Fri
Clients served on average per year: Specific students served - approximately 200
Number of staff: Five
Staff description: Project Director, State Coordinators of Visual Impairment/Blindness Services and Deaf/HH Services; Deaf-Blind Consultant; Deaf-Blind Project Director; Support staff
Geographic area served: State of Washington - 296 school districts; State School for the Blind; State School for the Deaf
Brent Stark, Project Director, (509) 665-2630, email@example.com
Services for Children
- WSDS will provide technical assistance in finding a qualified person to provide a functional vision assessment and/or learning media assessment. WSDS staff can provide intial assessment, depending on the circumstances.
- Early Intervention/Infant Services
- WSDS will provide consultation services to EI programs for meeting the needs of the child who is visually impaired, or can help an EI program obtain consultative services from a teacher of the visually impaired. Consultation may include evaluation and assessment, instructional strategies, professional and family awareness training.
- Education Services
- WSDS will provide consultation to school districts regarding appropriate evaluation/assessment, instructional adaptations and support services for a student with visual impairments.
- Information and Referral
- Provides information and referrals to appropriate educational services for children and youth with sensory disabilities.
- Support for Parents
- WSDS will provide training for parents to meet the needs of their children with visual impairment. Offers consultations for individual children.