Westchester Independent Living Center - AFB Directory Profile
Westchester Independent Living Center
10 County Center Road
2nd Floor, Suite 203
White Plains, NY 10607
(914) 682-3926 (Local)
(914) 682-8518 (Fax)
(914) 682-0926 (TDD/TTY)
We provide advocacy and resources for individuals with disabilities
Hours of operation: 9-5pm, Monday-Friday
Clients served on average per year: 3700 +900
Number of staff: 42
Staff description: We have a satellite office in Putnam County, Putnam Independent Living Services
Geographic area served: Westchester, Putnam
Joe Bravo, Executive Director
Kathleen O'Conner, Contact, firstname.lastname@example.org
Services for Adults
- Community Outreach Programs
- Works with individuals, community organizations, and state/national networks to promote full inclusion of people with disabilities and to improve the implementation of existing laws. Center staff is also available to give presentations to schools, businesses, and civic groups on any disability-related issue in order to heighten awareness and understanding of such issues.
- Provides individual and group counseling, as well as peer support groups. Peer advisors available to visit newly disabled individuals at hospitals, rehabilitation centers, and mental health facilities to help facilitate their transition back to the community and offer emotional support and practical advice on issues such as education and vocational opportunities, housing, recreation, sexuality, and adaptive equipment.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in everyday life skills and offers consumer workshops on topics such as money management, managing an attendant, wheelchair maintenance, and accessing technology.
- Information and Referral
- Provides information on, and referral to, services available for individuals with varying disabilities. Provides help to consumers in understanding and accessing resources to help consumers understand what resources are available to them and to assist them in making informed choices.
- Library Services
- Maintains a resource library on issues related to disability.
Services for Children
- Employment/Job Training
- Identifies and assists students with disabilities, ages 14-21, to help them achieve their objectives for adult community life.