Wisconsin Council of the Blind and Visually Impaired - AFB Directory Profile
Wisconsin Council of the Blind and Visually Impaired
754 Williamson Street
Madison, WI 53703-3546
(608) 255-1166 (Local)
(608) 255-3301 (Fax)
(800) 783-5213 (Toll-Free)
The Wisconsin Council of the Blind and Visually Impaired is a private, non-for-profit agency. Its mission is to promote the dignity and independence of the people in Wisconsin who are blind and visually impaired by providing services, advocating legislation, and educating the general public. WCB&VI is funded through an annual drive, private grants, and bequests.
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Clients served on average per year: 8000
Number of staff: 15
Staff description: Low Vision Therapist, Rehabilitation Training Teachers, access to Certified Orientation & Mobility Specialist.
Geographic area served: Wisconsin
Publications: Council Courier, published three times per year. Available in large print, braille, CD, and ectronically. FRIENDS, published twice a year. "On Sight," monthly e-newsletter.
Denise Jess, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Services for Adults
- Assistive Products
- Sells adaptive equipment at low cost on its website and in the Sharper Vision Store. Provides free white canes to people with vision loss who qualify.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Offers computer and assistive technology training through the vision rehabilitation staff.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Rehabilitation specialist meets with consumers in their homes to offer strategies, techniques, environmental modifications, and referral for other services.
- Financial Assistance
- Awards academic and technical college scholarships to blind and visually impaired students in Wisconsin.
- Information and Referral
- Provides information and makes referrals as requested. Provides legislative advocacy. Maintains a statewide speakers' bureau
- Low Vision Services
- Provides low vision evaluations and follow-up.
- Services for Seniors
- Assists older adults with vision impairment in adapting to vision impairment and maintaining independence and safety through a range of rehabilitation services.