Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services: Office for the Blind and Visually Impaired - AFB Directory Profile
Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services: Office for the Blind and Visually Impaired
1 West Wilson Street, Rm 558
P.O. Box 7851
Madison, WI 53707-7851
(608) 266-7498 (Local)
(608) 266-3256 (Fax)
(888) 879-0017 (Toll-Free)
The Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services, Office for the Blind and Visually Impaired, is the government agency designated to provide assessment, training, and information to adults with vision loss, their families, and interested professionals. These services exist to enhance independent living skills and quality of life for persons with vision loss. The organization currently receives ILOB funds from the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation.
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri., 8:00 AM-5:00 PM.
Clients served on average per year: 1,308
Number of staff: 35
Staff description: Itinerant Rehabilitation Specialist for the Blind and itinerant Associates and management personnel.
Geographic area served: all 72 counties of Wisconsin.
Publications: Guide to Selected Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired; Tips for Living; Office for the Blind and Visually Impaired brochure
Susan Dachelet, Field Supervisor, (920) 448-5086, Susan.Dachelet@wisconsin.gov
Linda Huffer, Director, Linda.Huffer@wisconsin.gov
Tom Langham, Field Supervisor, (414) 302-2765, Thomas.Langham@wisconsin.gov
Services for Adults
- Offers individual counseling and provides referrals.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in independent living and personal management skills. Instructors travel within their assigned region to individual's home to provide services. Administers the Independent Living for Older Blind federal grant, which allows the Office to hire paraprofessionals on a limited basis to provide rehabilitation services to individuals experiencing vision loss who are 55 and older and to facilitate support groups.
- Services for Seniors
- The Office for the Blind and Visually Impaired provides a full range of independent living services to its consumers.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.
Services for Professionals
- Professional Training
- Offers internship/fieldwork placement programs.