About the American Foundation for the Blind: Leading the Vision Loss Community
The American Foundation for the Blind removes barriers, creates solutions, and expands possibilities so people with vision loss can achieve their full potential.
AFB envisions a world where people with vision loss have equal access and opportunities.
Who We Are
"Action is our watchword; action will bring results."
This was our motto when we opened our doors in 1921, and it continues to guide us today. As a national nonprofit with offices in five US cities, the American Foundation for the Blind (AFB) is a leader in expanding possibilities for the more than 20 million Americans living with vision loss. We champion access and equality, and stand at the forefront of new technologies. Our award-winning programs directly address the most pressing needs of people with vision loss and their families. Like Helen Keller, AFB's most famous ambassador, we are committed to creating a more equitable world for people with disabilities. From infancy to education, career, and retirement, AFB is there to help at every stage of life.
What We Do
- We connect families to knowledge and support.
- In the business world, we guide the creation of more accessible products.
- We offer publications and eLearning courses to educate professionals in the field.
- Our advocacy helps make landmark legislation like the Americans with Disabilities Act a reality.
- We strive to continue the mission of Helen Keller, who championed the rights of individuals with disabilities during her 44 years at AFB.
In the last decade, AFB has helped to ensure that:
- Children with visual impairments receive their textbooks and classroom materials at the same time as their sighted peers.
- iPhones, iPods, and iPads are accessible.
- Popular prime-time and children's TV shows are video described.
- Pharmacies use best practices in providing accessible prescription drug labeling to customers with vision loss.
We have led the blindness community for over nine decades, proving that vision loss need not stand in the way of success. However, we recognize that our most important work lies ahead. You can help us reach our goals. Find out how to get involved with AFB.
- 2014 AFB Leadership Conference an Unprecedented Success
by AFB on 3/14/2014
- For #GivingTuesday, 10 Reasons to Support AFB
by AFB Staff on 11/22/2013
- Be Like Helen on Her Birthday; Be an Advocate!
by AFB Staff on 6/26/2013