Five Great Ways to Support the Alice Cogswell and Anne Sullivan Macy Act and Improve Education for Students Who Are Blind and Visually Impaired
Read the complete text of the Anne Sullivan Macy Act (now, H.R. 3535: The Alice Cogswell and Anne Sullivan Macy Act).
Five Great Ways to Help!
- Call on Your Representative to Support the Cogswell-Macy Act: H.R. 3535
- Tweet Your Support for #CogswellMacyAct
- Spread the Word About the Cogswell-Macy Act: H.R. 3535 on Facebook, Pinterest, and YouTube
- Show Your Organization's Support for the Cogswell-Macy Act: H.R. 3535
- Share Your Own Cogswell-Macy Act Advocacy Activities!
1. Call Your Senators and Representatives on April 14, 2016
2. Tweet Your Support
Let's spread our support across the Twitter-verse! Most congress members are now on Twitter and actively monitor feedback sent their way. Plus, by including the hashtag #CogswellMacyAct, you and all the other Cogswell-Macy Act: H.R. 3535 supporters can track the "Twitter storm" of support!
- Visit https://twitter.com/verified/us- congress/members to search for your congressional Twitter handles.
- From your Twitter account (mobile or web), send a tweet beginning with the Twitter handle (remember to include the "@" sign before the Twitter handle) and including the URL www.afb.org/CogswellMacyAct and the hashtag #CogswellMacyAct
- From Twitter, search/follow #CogswellMacyAct to see who else is tweeting their support
Sample Tweets (Feel Free to Write Your Own!)
Insert the Twitter handle for your own Representative and the abbreviation for your own state in place of the example provided here:
@MyRepresentative (State) #blind & #lowvision students want you to sponsor #CogswellMacyAct. All students deserve truly appropriate education! afb.org/CogswellMacyAct
@MyRepresentative 350K students have hearing impairments, 100K have vision loss, but current law protects <1/3 of those populations. #CogswellMacyAct
Get creative! Use twitpic.com or other tools to tweet photos of yourself with a sign supporting the Cogswell-Macy Act: H.R. 3535!
3. Spread the Word on Facebook, Pinterest, and YouTube
Post your support on Facebook, Pinterest, or Google+ with a link to www.afb.org/CogswellMacyAct. You can now use the hashtag #CogswellMacyAct on Facebook as well as Twitter to post about the Cogswell-Macy Act and track friends' Cogswell-Macy Act posts.
Please feel free to include one of the following photos with your post:
Making a video of Cogswell-Macy Act supporters helps draw attention to the act and provides an exciting way of conveying your message. See this short video created at the Illinois AER conference on youtube.com or using our accessible player below.
We are Illinois AER, and we support the Cogswell-Macy Act!
Illinois AER Hosts Call-In Table
At the Illinois AER conference, several members set up a table exhibit to promote Cogswell-Macy Act advocacy!
4. Show Your Organization's Support for the Cogswell-Macy Act: H.R. 3535
- Has your organization endorsed the Cogswell-Macy Act: H.R. 3535? Read a list of organizations that endorse the Cogswell-Macy Act: H.R. 3535 and find out how to add your organization to the list!
- Connect your website's readers to www.afb.org/CogswellMacyAct
- Invite readers to explore the full text of the Cogswell/Macy Act - H.R. 3535
- Let us know you're helping spread the word by sending an email to email@example.com
- Use the social media links below to share this page
- View and share this Macy Act advocacy video
Set Up Your Own Call-In Day Activities!
What ideas do you have to promote the Cogswell-Macy Act? Send, Tweet, and share photos if you host an information table or engage students, families, and parents in exciting ways.
Resources for Hosting a Call-In Table or Event:
If you are hosting a table, we can offer you some resources to get started. Feel free to be creative and attract attention in your own unique way.
You could print out a map of your congressional districts to help people find out who to call. Through nationalmap.gov, the US Geological Survey offers state maps of congressional districts.
Provide the Cogswell-Macy Act talking points to familiarize callers with the Act. The talking points are available for the House and the Senate, in English and Spanish.
- U.S. House of Representatives English Talking Points
- U.S. House of Representatives Spanish Talking Points
- U.S. Senate English Talking Points
- U.S. Senate Spanish Talking Points
You could also display a slide show presentation that highlights the bill and why it is important. Click here for an example of a powerpoint that you could use. An accessible text of the powerpoint is also available here.
Create pins, buttons, or stickers that show off your organization's support for the Cogswell-Macy Act. An example sticker might display your organization's logo and say, "I support the Cogswell-Macy Act."
5. Share Your Own Cogswell-Macy Act Advocacy Activities!
What ideas to you have to promote the Cogswell-Macy Act? Send/tweet/share photos if you host an information table or engage students, families, and parents in exciting ways.
Thank You for Your Support!
Thank you in advance for your support! In making these important calls and tweets and sharing the Cogswell-Macy Act: H.R. 3535 with your friends and colleagues, you are joining families, professionals, and consumers from all across America who are as concerned as you are about the readiness of kids with vision loss for college and career.
We hope you’ve found this information helpful. Please consider making a donation today to support our free information, programs, and research.