Take Action: Anne Sullivan Macy Act
A young girl reads braille with her teacher's help
Support the Anne Sullivan Macy Act (now, H.R. 4040: The Alice Cogswell and Anne Sullivan Macy Act)
Read the complete text of the Cogswell/Macy Act - H.R. 4040.
Five Great Ways to Help!
- Call on Your Senators and Representatives to Support the Cogswell/Macy Act - H.R. 4040
- Tweet Your Support for #MacyAct
- Spread the Word About the Cogswell/Macy Act - H.R. 4040 on Facebook and Google+
- Show Your Organization's Support for the Cogswell/Macy Act - H.R. 4040
- Share Your Own Macy Act Advocacy Activities!
Call on Your Senators and Representatives to Support the Cogswell/Macy Act - H.R. 4040
Three Simple Steps for Calling in Your Support
- Dial these call-in numbers:
• U.S. House of Representatives: 1-855-882-MACY (6229)
• U.S. Senate: 1-877-959-MACY (6229)
- Enter your zip code to connect to your U.S. House of Representatives member or to each of your two U.S. Senators.
- After identifying yourself and letting them know you're a constituent, ask your member of Congress, and their staff whom you're likely to speak to, to sponsor the Cogswell/Macy Act - H.R. 4040, and ask them to get back to you with their response. Point them to: www.afb.org/MacyAct for the full text of the legislation and for an online support petition.
Don't be disappointed if you only talk to a receptionist or if you get their voicemail; the fact that you are their constituent and are taking the time to bring the Cogswell/Macy Act - H.R. 4040 to their attention is what it's all about. If you like, you can ask to speak to the staffer in the office who works on special education issues. Once you've made your calls, we'd love to hear how it went, so please give us a call or drop us a note at email@example.com. Thank you for your advocacy for children who are blind or visually impaired!
Tweet Your Support
Let's spread our support across the Twitter-verse! Most congress members are now on Twitter and actively monitor feedback sent their way. Plus, by including the hashtag #MacyAct, you and all the other Cogswell/Macy Act - H.R. 4040 supporters can track the "Twitter storm" of support!
- Go to www.tweetcongress.org and enter your Senators/Representatives names to find their Twitter handles (the Twitter handle is listed underneath the senator/representative's name, to the right of his/her picture) or visit https://twitter.com/verified/us-congress/members to search for congressional Twitter handles
- From your Twitter account (mobile or web), send a tweet beginning with the Twitter handle (remember to include the "@" sign before the Twitter handle) and including the URL www.afb.org/MacyAct and the hashtag #MacyAct
- From Twitter, search/follow #MacyAct to see who else is tweeting their support
Sample Tweets (Feel Free to Write Your Own!)
Insert the Twitter handles for your own Senators and Representatives and the abbreviation for your own state in place of the examples provided here:
- @MySenator Please sponsor the #MacyAct. Students who are #blind or #lowvision in (State) deserve appropriate evaluation and instruction! afb.org/MacyAct
- @MyRepresentative (State) #blind & #lowvision students want you to sponsor #MacyAct. All students deserve truly appropriate education! afb.org/MacyAct
To clarify, if you were from the 21st district in Texas, you might tweet:
- @JohnCornyn Please sponsor the #MacyAct. Students who are #blind or #lowvision in TX deserve appropriate evaluation and instruction! afb.org/MacyAct
- @LamarSmithTX21 TX students who are #blind or #lowvision want you to sponsor #MacyAct. All students deserve truly appropriate education! afb.org/MacyAct
Get creative! Use twitpic.com or other tools to tweet photos of yourself with a sign supporting the Cogswell/Macy Act - H.R. 4040!
Spread the Word on Facebook and Google+
Post your support on Facebook and/or Google+ with a link to www.afb.org/MacyAct. You can now use the hashtag #MacyAct on Facebook as well as Twitter to post about the Macy Act and track friends' MacyAct posts.
Show Your Organization's Support for the Cogswell/Macy Act - H.R. 4040
- Has your organization endorsed the Cogswell/Macy Act - H.R. 4040? Read a list of organizations that endorse the Cogswell/Macy Act - H.R. 4040 and find out how to add your organization to the list!
- Connect your website's readers to www.afb.org/MacyAct
- Invite readers to explore the full text of the Cogswell/Macy Act - H.R. 4040
- Let us know you're helping spread the word by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use the social media links below to share this page
- View and share this Macy Act advocacy video:
Share Your Own Macy Act Advocacy Activities!
What ideas to you have to promote the Macy Act? Send/Tweet/share photos if you host an information table or engage students, families, and parents in exciting ways.
Don't forget to check out the fantastic supporting materials at the joint AFB and Perkins project published on the web at: www.ECCAdvocacy.org.
Thank You for Your Support!
Thank you in advance for your support! In making these important calls and tweets and sharing the Cogswell/Macy Act - H.R. 4040 with your friends and colleagues, you are joining families, professionals, and consumers from all across America who are as concerned as you are about the readiness of kids with vision loss for college and career.
Named for Helen Keller's beloved teacher, the Anne Sullivan Macy Act would dramatically improve educational results for the more than 100,000 students in America with vision loss, many of whom have additional disabilities. The Macy Act would ensure that these students are properly evaluated and served in light of all their unique learning needs. Without the Anne Sullivan Macy Act, our nation's special education system will remain unable to deliver on its promise of a truly appropriate education for our kids.
Be sure to sign AFB's petition in support of the Macy Act.