Tips on Contacting a Mentor
Before contacting AFB CareerConnect® mentors, you may want to write out a list of questions to ask. The following list may help you get started:
- How did you find this job?
- How long have you had this job?
- Where did you receive your training for this job?
- What jobs did you have before this one?
- Did you take vocational courses in high school, college or trade school that you recommend I consider?
- Did you participate in an internship or an apprenticeship?
- Does your present company offer on-the-job training?
- What is a typical starting salary for this job?
- What is your typical workday like?
- How do you get to and from work?
- How do you perform your job duties?
- Do you use specialized tools or equipment to perform your job duties?
- How did you finance the purchase of any specialized equipment you use on the job?
- Where and from whom did you receive training in how to operate the tools you use to perform your job?
- What related jobs do you know of that I might want to investigate?
- What other jobs have you had in your career?
- What are your current career goals?