Age-Related Macular Degeneration Resources
Medical and Anatomical Definitions and Illustrations of Macular Degeneration
To help family members and friends better understand the visual and functional effects of age-related macular degeneration (AMD), Macular Degeneration Support has created an online simulation gallery, entitled Through Our Eyes: How People with AMD See.
Publications, Organizations, and Support Services for Adults with Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD)
Since increasing numbers of adults and older adults experience various forms of AMD, there are many consumer groups, online forums, and publications that provide ongoing information, resources, and support:
- Out of Sight, Not Out of Mind: Personal and Professional Perspectives on Age-Related Macular Degeneration, by Lindy Bergman and edited by Jennifer E. Miller, Esq.
- Out of the Corner of My Eye: Living with Macular Degeneration, by Nicolette Pernot Ringgold
- Macular Degeneration: The Complete Guide to Saving and Maximizing Your Sight by Lylas G. Mogk, M.D. and Marja Mogk, Ph.D.
- The First Year: Age-Related Macular Degeneration: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed by Daniel L. Roberts
- Living Well with Macular Degeneration: Practical Tips and Essential Information by Bruce P. Rosenthal, O.D. and Kate Kelly
Major Associations by and for People with Macular Degeneration
- AMD Alliance International: Provides a summary of all current and proposed treatments for wet and dry AMD, in addition to information on early detection, timely treatment, comprehensive rehabilitation and support services, and prevention strategies.
- The American Macular Degeneration Foundation: Works for the prevention, treatment, and cure of macular degeneration through raising funds, educating the public, and supporting scientific research. Publishes "In the Spotlight," a quarterly newsletter that is provided for a $25.00 donation to the Foundation.
- The Association for Macular Diseases: Home of The Association for Macular Diseases and The Macula Foundation, Inc. The Association publishes an aggregated news feed with updates on medical advances and research in macular diseases. The Macula Foundation, Inc. supports basic and clinical research in vitreous, retinal and macular diseases.
- Eye on AMD: Provides information on AMD, resources to help find a retinal specialist, and information about support groups.
- The Eye Digest: A publication of the University of Illinois Eye and Ear Infirmary that provides information on a wide range of eye diseases and disorders, including macular degeneration, diabetic eye disease, glaucoma, cataract, dry eye, and low vision.
- Macular Degeneration Foundation, Inc.: A non-profit organization, founded by an AMD patient to inform consumers and support research. Publishes "The Magnifier," a free newsletter distributed via email and regular mail that highlights breaking news, clinical trials, and Internet resources.
- Macular Degeneration Partnership: Publishes a monthly online newsletter and e-mail subscription service. Provides information and resources on experimental treatments, clinical trials, and macular degeneration resources, as well a free AMD Toolkit that contains a large print information packet on AMD, low vision rehabilitation, nutrition, and a magnetic Amsler Grid.
- Macular Degeneration Research: Provides information about macular degeneration, its symptoms and risk factors, treatment options, and how to live with or care for someone with the disease.
- Macular Degeneration Support: Provides information and educational publications on AMD and medical advances, Internet support groups (including 100+ affiliate groups worldwide), a transportation database and search function, extensive online resources, monthly webcasts, and a public awareness program to reach individuals who are without Internet access.
- WebRN - MacularDegeneration.com: A comprehensive and current web site on macular degeneration, including prevention, treatment, diet and nutrition, clinical trials, and low vision aids and resources.