Finding Help: Advice for Employers
The American Foundation for the Blind is an easily accessed resource for employers, rehabilitation professionals, and blind and visually impaired people, and serves as an interface among these three groups.
Expertise and Consulting for Employers
AFB offers expertise to answer specific inquiries and consulting for more difficult or complex problems, as well as training and workshops. AFB has expertise, specific methodologies, and a proven track record to:
- Assess the extent of visual impairment in the workforce and its effect on productivity
- Determine where help is needed and suggest possible accommodations
- Determine cost/benefit and optimize the accommodation process for a company's workforce
- Provide guidance to foster an open, inclusive environment that enhances the individual employee's ability to safely disclose a disability
- Enhance policies and systems
- Enhance the corporate culture's level of inclusiveness
- Connect employers to resources for:
- Hiring and retaining blind or visually impaired workers
- Assistive technology
- Human resources practices
Support for Rehabilitation and Visually Impaired Individuals
In addition, AFB identifies and creates effective models to ease the transition from rehabilitation training to employment, provides help so that individuals losing their vision can retain their jobs, and offers training to employers and service-delivery professionals. AFB CareerConnect offers online employment tools for people who are blind or have low vision.
American Foundation for the Blind
11 Penn Plaza, Suite 300
New York, NY 10001
Telephone: (800) 232-5463
Once you understand your situation and what is needed, there are many resources to help employers, including an array of consulting services.