- Some long canes are made of a single piece of metal, fiberglass, or similar lightweight conductive material. Other canes can fold or collapse like a telescope. Not all long canes are white; some are silver-grey.
- People who are blind learn how to use and store their canes safely. It is their responsibility to do so at all times.
- To assist a person using a long cane, always announce your presence and ask if your assistance is needed before reaching to help.
- When guiding a person who uses a long cane, do not
interfere with the arm used to hold the cane.
- Always inform a person who is blind where you have stored his or her cane if it is necessary for you to take it for even a brief period of time.