On May 15, 1945, motivated by the increase in the numbers of blinded veterans at the end of World War II, the Library of
Congress held a conference to discuss ways of improving Talking Book technology. AFB continued to manufacture Talking Book
machines until 1946, at which time the Library of Congress awarded the bids to other commercial and noncommercial
organizations. However, AFB maintained important Library of Congress research and development contracts to develop and test
new machine technology well into the 1950s. Moreover, both AFB and the American Printing House for the Blind continued to
receive contracts from the Library of Congress to produce and distribute Talking Book records.
Listen to an audio clip from a Talking Book entitled The Blind of Europe, recorded by Robert B. Irwin and Alexander Scourby in 1947. The recording describes the damage sustained by European facilities providing services to blind civilians during World War II.