Skip to Content

AFBAmerican Foundation®
for the Blind

Expanding possibilities for people with vision loss

Teaching Tai Chi to Students with Visual Impairments

Hello,
I have used Tai Chi Fundamentals (www.taichihealth.com) in my physical therapy work with students, with seniors, and for myself personally. I would like to start a discussion with anyone teaching tai chi to people with blindness.

I read one research article and would like to further this great exercise form for any people or students who are interested. Also, any of the authors below please contact me.
Thank you!
Miszko TA, Ramsey VK, Blasch BB, Tai Chi for People with Visual Impairments: A Pilot Study, Orientation and Mobility, Jan 2004, Vol 98

There are currently 2 replies

Sort Replies Oldest to Newest

Re: Teaching Tai Chi to Students with Visual Impairments

I'm legally blind and took Tai Chi briefly. I found it very difficult to get all the subtleties of not only the positioning of the hands, feet, etc, but the movement is fairly constant, and the positioning of the hands, feet, change along the motion. I would think instructing TAi Chi to a blind person would require a lot of close contact, similar to teaching ballroom dancing to the blind. What's nice about TAI CHI is that you benefit from it even if you don't execute it very well.

Re: Teaching Tai Chi to Students with Visual Impairments

This sounds fascinating! In what ways have you adapted Tai Chi methods for people with visual impairments?