Skip to Content

AFBAmerican Foundation®
for the Blind

Expanding possibilities for people with vision loss

Blind in one eye

Hi, I'm Ana, and I'm 16. Due to a recent accident, my right eye is completely blind. My left eye is healthy and has good vision. However, I'm worried that my blind eye, my right eye, will start to wander and become "a lazy eye" due to the fact that it isn't used. Appearance- given my age- is important to me, and on top of my half-blindness, I don't want to have to worry about how my drifting eye looks! How can I prevent this from happening? Or, if it does end up happening, how can I fix it?

There are currently 21 replies

Sort Replies Oldest to Newest

Re: Blind in one eye

Hey, im blind out of my right eye due to an accedent when i was 9, im 13 now. My eye drifts a lot, all the time. When i first got blind my hair would cover my eye because i couldnt see itx but now i do it more cause i would rather it not be able to be seen all the time. If somebody like my freind asks to see it it i will show them cause they think its cool and weird but i dont get a really negative reaction.they just laugh and comment "thats weird/cool" but i still would rather it be covered. Sports are defiantly hard with bsd depth perception but i get through it, im not the worst luckily. I am aware that my optic nerve is damaged and i will most likely not be able to see again, but i would really like to ger the drifting fixed. I know theres things you can do for lazy eyes but i dont know if they would work for blind eyes.i hope they will be technology for all of you in the future

Hey there. I'm now 38. Was born blind in right eye. Sure, we're different and is a little embarrassing sometimes when the blind eye doesn't behave, but think of the positives... We only see in 2D so normal TV to us is as effective as 3d TV to everyone else. I drive a, car, I ride a, motorbike, I don't let it get me down... Although I can't swat a, mosquito to save myself!
Treat each day and each view we have as precious. There are some folk out their that don't see at all.

I was born with no sight in my left eye on top of that I had strabimus people would never understand why I bumped into walls growing up and if I was looking at one person or just looking around not paying attention I have perfectly find sight in my right eye and people telling me that I can get my blindness fixed I knew I could get my lazy eye fixed which I have had it partially moved and fixed but it doesn't last long only lasts at least four years and then I have to get it done again I never knew so many people had the same problem I did but mine happened when I was bored from premature birth.

hey guyz
m joseph here!
m 23 i lost my left eye when i was 4 years old while playing bow n arrow(broomstick) with my friend the stick pierce my pupil n cornea. went to many famous doctors in india but couldnt help.all they said was ur nervous are weak now and the fluid in the retina is drained off......now m in a suitation where i dont actually know what to do.....m worried ....is there any doctors or experters here who could suggest me to do something....n m sure i will give it a shot.....thanks a lot in advance.....it really inspired reading all ur replies...good god bless u all!! Amen

Hey, my name is Aritzi and i have the same condition only that im blind in my left eye,i have this little white clound covering my pupil. ive been blind since i was little, i didn't really mind when i was younger but now that im in high school almost done with it every time i try to make eye contact with them they just either ignore me or they just don't really pay attention to me.

Hello. What's everyone's story as to the cause of one eye going blind while young?
My story: My left eye had a cataract removed, has exotropia and has glaucoma since I was an infant. Used pressure drop regularly since childhood with dosage gradually spreading out in time. I had a few surgeries growing up when my pressure got too high. Typical bullying on occasion in grade school. Dealt with it. Had one corrective muscle surgery few years ago (whom told me several of these would make it possible to align it with my right eye...sigh). I'm a fairly healthy 31 yr. old male today. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or want to say hello.

Hey Ana! I'm 22 and I have been blind in my left eye since I was 6 months old. I was shaken, which caused damage to my optic nerve. My left eye moves just like my right eye and every time I tell someone I'm blind in one eye, they always do the finger test, lol. My left eye has not wandered or become lazy. I do wear a contact in my right eye, genetics. I always try to look at the fact of not having sight in one eye as a benefit. Buying contacts are 50% off ;)

Hi to all. i am 26 and i live in The Bahamas and i have been blind in my left eye from birth and my right eye get fuzzy sometime. Its hard to get around and also dating and being tease. Explaining to some people is like a joke to them. I need advice please and am glad i came across you all stories and i could share mines without being tease. Look me up on fb Franklyn poitier.

Hello all. I have been blind in my left eye since 2002 due to diabetic retinopathy and failed surgeries to correct it. About 3 years later my blind eye started to wander. Ever so slightly at first, and then one morning my wife (ex-wife) and I were making love, when finished I looked her in the eyes and she started to giggle. I asked her what she was giggling about and she said my blind eye was pointed straight towards my nose. My eye wandering the way it does did not bother me until that very moment. Ever since then it has been a confidence and social life killer. I am so self-conscious that it prevents me from trying to find a new partner. I know that isn't something the OP wants to hear but its just my experience. Surgery CAN NOT fix this condition. I've had my eye muscles cut to try and straighten my eye but it has failed and the doctors said I would just have to live with it. It SUCKS.

Hi Ana, I've been blind in one eye for 30+ years. I am married and have a wonderful wife and two great girls. You will be okay. I just started this website. And, am glad, at least, to tell you, that forget about anyone who looks at you with a disability. You are likely very beautiful, and smart. take care. In any case, look into the eyes of your partner and trust they are looking at your soul.

Hi, I know the original post is from a long time ago, but I am sort of stuck in the same boat as Ana, except I have been blind in my left eye ever since I was two years old and it has already become quite the lazy eye. I know I can get surgery to fix it, but Honesly my household doesn't make much money and I don't want to ask them to
Shell out a bunch of money just so I personally can stop being so self-conscious ( I feel it would be selfish to think only about myself and not about how hard my parents work as it is and they shouldn't have to work any harder just because I'm unhappy when there are college tuition and textbooks for my older brother. Which, as just about almost everyone knows require a metric ton of money).)

The reason I ask this is that I'm 16 tomorrow (september 17) and there is this girl I really like and I want to ask her out to homecoming, but I'm really sure if the feeling is mutual. She sits behind me in German class and I always seem to have a problem with eye contact because I'm REALLY self-consious around girls (as you can imagine being in front of my crush and since I'm in German there is a bunch of partner work where we talk interact which naturally make me really self conscious when comes to my lazy eye. I am NOT here to ask about how to deal with rejection or how to ask her out or any of that stuff (that's what wikihow is for. Jk Lol) What here for is:how does everyone else with a lazy eye live/interact with others and are you self conscious about your own lazy eye or do you guys act/live as if it were normal?

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day/life to read my predicament.

I am blind in my left eye. I have been this way since I was 4 years old so it is all i know. Only now at 34 years old i have been experiencing severe anxiety over it. I think about my appearance from time to time because my blind eye is lazy but since I only notice it in pictures I tend to turn my head the other way to take pictures. when I am with friends and family i dont worry about my appearance at all. My major issue is the anxiety of being blind in one eye and needing glasses for the other. I have accomplished so much in life, graduated college, raised two children on my own, i drive, and do anything i want......why am i so scared of only being able to see with one eye? I am so happy to have found this site and to see that I am not the only person who is blind in one eye. I worry that i will get older and continue to lose sight in my good eye and go blind....i think i know that is not going to actually happen but yet I still worry constantly....can anyone who is like me just put my mind at ease??? Desperate to hear from someone like me
Jackie

Hi Ana, I realise you posted this a few years ago but in the chance you are still following this I thought I'd share my experience and ease the worry of your eye wandering.

I am 27 and I live in the UK. When I was 12 I had an accident with a retractable dog lead which left me blind in my right eye, it's not completely blind - I can see light and shadows but it's there's a lot of scaring so I only use my good eye to see (my brains decision, not mine). I've always worried about the eye wandering as I don't use it and on visits to the doctors I've been told it should be already. But it doesnt, apparently you have muscle memory, as my eyes had 12 years of memory the bad eye still follows the direction of the good eye. People still tend to 'talk' to my bad eye as it has some bluish scaring across it, it's really frustrating as I constantly think its started to wandered by my family and friends assure me it isn't. I probably interrogate my boyfriend on the subject every couple of weeks just to be sure....he basically tells me to shut up and stop worrying.

Occasionally when I look in the mirror and stare at the bad eye it will creep about half a CM up so it looks like is sits slightly highter or if I take a photo I can't look to the left too much as the right eye will creep up as it does in the mirror. I think it's something to do with the angle and the muscle there getting lazy. I also try to make sure I get a good amount of sleep as being tired can affect it. I'm not going to lie, it kills me, I hate seeing it like this, having photos taken stresses me out and I have to review them straight away but friends understand and indulge my neurotic eye OCD...

So, my point is that 15 years after the accident my eye (thankfully) has retained a lot of the muscle memory and moves in line with the good eye. It is getting weaker but not to the point where I'd consider corrective surgery yet. I think in my 30s I may have the muscle tightened but it will be for my own peace of mind....I am the worst critic and will pick up on the slightly millimetre of difference when other people will not notice a thing other than the scaring.

I hope this has eased your worry! Joseph x

hey Ana im 15 turning 16 in july i understand what you're saying when i was younger (don't remember what age) we had newborn puppies and i touched them and rubbed my eyes without washing my hands and things went down hill. my mom took me to a whole bunch of eye doctors but they couldnt do anything im now blind in my left eye and its lazy since i dont use it and super self conscious im not sure if thats what really caused me to become blind but it happen and i hate it lol i started to just cover it with my hair in like the 4th grade im in highschool now and still cover it i have a hard time dealing with it

I have been blind in my left eye since I was born (I'm 25). I had surgery to try and correct my left eye when I was 7 but it didn't work. I have a lazy eye that was made worse by the surgery. I was bullied because of my eye. And being blind I don't tell a lot of people. I was wondering if I would be abke to wear contact lens (I hate wearing glasses but i have really blurry vision with out my glasses

I am currently 38 soon to be 39. I have been blind in my right eye since birth as well. Currently now have less than four feet in my left eye. I have had a few surgeries done on my eyes in the past the earliest done at age 3. The last two at age 19. The last two were just mainly to reduce the increased eye pressure from both eyes at the time reading was 35.

Re:Blind in one eye

Hey everyone- I'm 25, but blind in my right eye since birth. Understand being self conscious- definitely went through tough times with bullying etc. However- at 15 I did have the surgery to tighten the muscles to help it follow my "good" eye... I think it helped a little, but mostly helped my self confidence. Most people can't even tell- even after they have known me for years. Believe me- you are your own worst critic- when you are tired and look in the mirror and think your eye looks horrible- just remember everyone else doesn't notice it as much as you do. Once I realized that it was easier on me.

I've been blind in my left eye since i was a little girl. I'm 15 now. I have a lazy eye because i don't use it. If you're struggling that bad with it, there IS a surgery you can do that tightens the muscles around the eye so that it moves WITH your good eye. I had the surgery done a few months ago but since i was blind in that eye for so long, it didn't make it perfect. but it's barely noticable.

hey ana ive been blind in my left eye since birth and i know how self conscious one can get. I however am not here to offer you any encouragement because im extremely self conscious lol. In any case being blind for me has made it extremely difficult to ask a girl out. Im planning on getting a glass eye in the future though if I do have success in my endeavors while being self conscious Ill let you know my technique Good Luck

Hey Ana, I'm 26 and have been blind in my left eye since I was 9 months old. I don't think there is much you can do about it. What I can say is my eye isnt that bad and its never made finding a girl or anything a problem. I dated a girl for 3 years and all my buddies were super jealous.

There may be times when it'll be hard but dont let anyone make you feel bad. The one thing I learned is your friends will always be there and stick up for you if you need it.

My suggestion would be to try and not be critical about it. I am 16 too and still have strabismus/nystagmus (no muscle control) which gives me a loss of control over my eyes. Most people aren't going to look at what you look like on the outside but on the inside. I also hope you are okay considering you were in an accident. I have been legally blind since birth but if you have any questions or just want to talk my email is geneticswiz.rfa94@gmail.com